How do I request reimbursement under the Host Guarantee?
Often, hosts and guests resolve issues on their own in our Resolution Centre. If you haven’t already, first contact your guest to notify them of your complaint and submit a payment request in our Resolution Centre.
If you can’t resolve an issue with the guest
First, please familiarise yourself with the terms and conditions of the Host Guarantee. Note that requests must be submitted either 14 days from the guest’s checkout or before the next guest checks in, whichever is earlier. If you’ve started a case in the Resolution Centre, ask to involve Airbnb.
If you haven’t used the Resolution Centre, do the following:
- Go to Contact us
- Select the reservation associated with the damages or theft
- When asked what you need help with, select Damages and conflicts and follow the remaining prompts
What to include in your request
Depending on the damages, we’ll ask you for at least one of the following, so make sure to have them on hand when you’re submitting a request:
- Photo/video of the damage
- A receipt, screenshot or bank statement showing proof of ownership, original purchase price and age/condition
- Proof of cost to repair/replace (e.g. value of the item based on Amazon/eBay search; invoice indicating cost of repair/replacement)
- In the very rare event of malicious damages or damages involving any kind of illegal activity, we may ask for a police report. We'll ask you to provide Airbnb with an official copy of the report, so please be sure to ask for a paper copy for your records.
What to expect from us
For requests submitted on time, we’ll send a confirmation email with information about what’s next.
Typically, that involves the following steps:
- Confirm your host info plus the guest, reservation and listing details
- Make sure your request was submitted according to our Terms of Service
- Review any photos/videos and other details you’ve provided about the incident
- Contact the guest
Once we receive sufficient information from you and the guest, we’ll review all documentation and evaluate the payment request. The length of the process will vary depending on the severity of the case, the quality of the documentation and the cooperation of the host and guest.
If one of our Community Support Specialists approves reimbursement based on this and other info, they’ll calculate the amount according to our policies and release a payout.
Remember: In an emergency situation, or if your personal safety is threatened, contact the local police or emergency services immediately.