The Writer's Cabin is a quaint, long established residence hidden in the oldest part of town. This historic cabin has been fully restored and modernized. This is an established vacation rental that is recent to Air BnB. We have a 5 star rating on (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN).
The price includes local and State taxes. The Writer's Cabin is a quaint, long established residence hidden in the oldest part of town. It has been fully restored and modernized to provide all the creature comforts and yet remain historic in nature. Set amidst lush landscaping, the cabin is only steps from the harbor. All amenities are provided including an new enameled cast iron gas fireplace, a new therapeutic air tub for two, a new top of the line queen bed, a well equipped modern kitchen, satellite TV with flat screen and theatre surround, an antique secretary writing desk, high speed wireless internet, and various objects of interest representative of famous writers and local writers including locally written books and Ernest Hemmingway's favorite model of typewriter.
With nine windows and one skylight, there is great natural light throughout the little cabin.
Seagulls and fog greet you when you rise. The grounds of the property are planted with a variety of native and boreal flowering plants, flowering shrubs and fruit trees. It is a garden like setting with various perennial, annual, and produce plantings.
The outdoor space has a balanced blend of sun and shade, functionality and whimsicality.This is a space intended as an exclusive retreat from the rigors of small town life. It is designed so that you can be as private as your vacation requires. Dense schrubs and tall fences ensure your own seclusion.
Visitors are encouraged to tour the property and flag down the owners if you see them. Observe the goings on in the gardens and the adjacent Boathouse! The Boathouse is an impressive timberframe structure that was built by the current owner as their home and as a workshop for building and restoring boats and for teaching classes and other public and private events. Stop in and see what's going on, maybe you will be recruited in to service to help on whatever project is under way! The owner is currenly building an Alaskan skiff and loves to talk about it.
You have the run of the cabin, with a private patio in front. There is a chiminea on the patio. Please provide your own firewood. You have your own private driveway.
Interaction with guests
We are usually available if you need us, we live next door. We are available by phone and text as well. If you see us puttering about in the yard feel free to say hello and chat. We are very social but we understand that many people are not so we will give you your privacy unless you approach us. There are other guests in the neighboring structures but all sightlines are created so that you do not interact unless you make an effort.
Other things to note
All local and state taxes are included in the base rate. They will not be added again to the price.
Short Term Rental Agreement and Rental Rules
This short term Rental Agreement (the “Agreement") is made by and between Todd Miller (“Homeowner") and (See Name in Invoice) (“Guest") as of the date set forth on the electronically transmitted invoice of which this document as an attachment. Guest agrees to sign this document upon arrival. For good and valuable consideration, the sufficiency of which is acknowledged, the parties hereby agree as follows:
1) The property is locate at 7 4th Ave. West, Grand Marais, MN 55604
2) The maximum occupancy is 3 persons. No additions to original booking number allowed unless in writing and added to this contract.
3) Guests agree to abide by the Rental Rules attached as Exhibit A at all times while on the property and shall cause all members of the rental party and anyone else Guest permits on the property to abide by the following rules at all times while on the property.
4) Guest shall allow Homeowner access to the property for the purposes of repair and inspection. Homeowner shall exercise the right of access in a reasonable manner.
5) See terms in the listing for payment and refunds.
6) Insurance: We encourage all renters to purchase traveler insurance.
7) Payment: Acceptable payment methods are via Credit card.
8) If the premises appears dirty or damaged upon check-in, Guest shall inform Homeowner immediately.
10) Owner reserves the right to cancel this contract and refund all deposits at any time in the event of unexpected circumstances out of the owner's control that compromise the property or the owner's ability to provide safe and or quality lodging to the owner's standards.
11) Smoking is allowed outside only, butts must be discarded safely and out of sight.
12) People other than those in the Guest party set forth in this contract may not stay overnight in the property. Any other person visiting the property is the sole responsibility of the Guest during their visit.
13) This unit is privately owned, the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or it's facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the Guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guest are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premises.
14) Guest will keep the property and all furnishings in good order
15) Guest will only use appliances for their intended purposes.
16) Pets are permitted only with prior approval and the Pet Addendum must be approved.
17) Parking: Parking is permitted in the space provided in front of the cabin and on 4th Ave West.
18) Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. We suggest you bring beach towels if you feel you will use them. We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the property.
19) Storms: No refunds will be given for inclement weather. We do not refund due to road conditions.
20) Guests will provide their own charcoal for the grill.
21) Guests will provide their own firewood for the outdoor fire feature. No fires after 10:30 PM, No untended fires ever, no fires during burning bans. Firewood is available locally and must be acquired locally. No wood burning fireplaces exist in the cabin.
22) All noisy activities (loud socializing etc...) are to be taken inside by 11:00 at night.
23) Grand Marais has a vibrant music scene and live outdoor music is common in the summer. Due to the advantageous location of the Fisherman's Cabin, outdoor music can be heard many
evenings of the summer.
24) Check in time is 4:00 PM and check out is 11:00 AM
It is hereby agreed by and between Todd Miller (Homeowner) and Guest that homeowner will allow guest to have a pre approved pet and no others in the property and subject to the terms of the rental agreement and rules. Guests will pay the pet fee. Guests will provied to owner the following information: Type of pet, Name, Color, Weight, Age, Sex.
Guest agrees to pay an additional pet fee of $10 per pet per night. The owner may modify this requirement at their option.
1) All pets must comply with the following specifications:
A) Must not exceed 40 lbs
B) Must be at least 1 year old
C) Must be spayed or neutered
D) Must be up to date on rabies vaccinations and all other vaccinations. Heart worm preventative is highly recommended.
2) Pets must be leashed at all times.
3) Guest is responsible for cleaning up after pet, garbage cans are at the back of the property near the ally. Please clean up immediately instead of waiting until the end of your stay.
4) Pets are not allowed on the beds at any time. Any evidence of pets on beds may incur extra fees. If the pet must be on the sofa then the guest must provided a clean blanket to put underneath them.
5) Pet must not cause damage to premises, floors, or furnishings. If damage is caused, the cost of the damage may be added to the cost of rental.
6) Guests are required to to prevent pets from making excessive noise at a level that disturbs neighbors.
7) Pets may not be left unattended for an undue length of time, either indoors or out. Pet will not be left unattended on the decks, patio, or yard.
8) Homeowner assumes no responsibility for illness or injury that may incur to pets or humans while on premises.
9) The guest shall be solely responsible for the pet while on the property.