On a lush 1/2 acre, this modern, comfortable cottage is a perfect venue for an artist’s retreat, a family holiday or a romantic getaway (no parties here! — find another listing if that is what you are after). Rejuvenate in the spacious master bedroom, open-concept living rm/kitchen, charming bunkhouse & lovely garden.
This Hornby retreat is a 7-minute walk from the breathtaking Sandpiper Beach. The space is well-suited for up to 4-6 people (maximum 6).
This modern cottage encourages relaxation: natural light pours in through myriad windows and skylights; extensive decking around the cottage offers many locations to recline; and a thoughtfully landscaped garden has sitting areas for both sun-seekers and shade-dwellers.
The master bedroom is spacious and bright, housing a comfortable queen-sized bed. If you tire of the view of the goldfish pond and lush garden, you’ll find a full entertainment system tucked away in a handsome, red pine armoire.
The open-concept living room, dining room and kitchen have vaulted ceilings, sliding doors and funky triangular windows. This open space makes for easy visiting while you prepare meals, stretch out with books and magazines, or curl up to watch the fire burn away in the wood stove. The living room’s hide-a-bed with its Sealy Serta mattress comfortably sleeps two.
In addition to the main house, a bunkhouse offers a peaceful, private setting with extra accommodations: a queen loft above (best for nimble guests, and not ideal for people with mobility issues) and a fold-out futon below.
Note: This is the space referred to as the second bedroom in the "Sleeping Arrangements" section above. The main cottage has only 1 bedroom.
• there is an indoor washroom with a sink, flushing composting toilet and tub/shower; there is also a separate washroom near the bunkhouse with a sink and flushing composting toilet
• the flushing composting toilets require simple but important and regular maintenance by the renters (i.e. chips must be added and composting units must have cranks turned); if you are put off by the idea of doing this maintenance, this cottage is not for you
• The garden has a hammock, a swing and a fish pond. The abundance of plants and flowers attracts an interesting variety of birds.
You will have use of the whole cottage, the bunkhouse and the entire yard.
Interaction with guests
You will have privacy throughout your stay, and will not interact with the cottage owners. The cottage owners are available by text, phone or email to answer questions or offer tips about your visit to the cottage and island.
Other things to note
• we supply pillows and duvets, but renters must bring their own linens (towels, dish clothes, sheets, etc.).
• our well has a UV filtration system, but we still recommend that renters bring their own drinking water
• the cottage is run on a self-cleaning model except for the weekly summer rental periods (June 25-September 3). During self-cleaning periods, guests are responsible for leaving the cottage as clean as they found it.
• during weekly summer month periods (when a cleaner comes after the rental period), guests are expected to tidy up after themselves, remove all garbage and food, and leave minimal cleaning for the cleaner.
• we encourage our visitors to compost while here (try out the Green Cone Digester near the driveway; it composts pretty much all food waste)
• upon departure, visitors must remove all garbage and recyclables. The Hornby Recycling Depot is a useful and fun place to do this. While you’re up at the depot, take time for treasure seeking at the always-fun Free Store.
• the Island’s resources are taxed during the summer months, so we ask you to conserve water whenever possible
• during dry summer spells we may request that you refrain from using the wood stove and outdoor fire pit, due to fire hazards.
Absolutely no parties or disturbances. If you are coming to the island to party, our place is not for you.
Maximum 6 guests.
Minimize water use, especially in summer months, (short showers only, don't keep water running for dishwashing, etc.)
No campfires during fire bans; No fires on departure day; Campfires and fires in wood stove must be completely extinguished before departure.
No smoking on the premises.
No dogs except by special arrangement.
During self-cleaning periods, guests are responsible for leaving the cottage as clean as they found it. During weekly summer month periods (when a cleaner comes after the rental period), guests are expected to tidy up after themselves, remove all garbage and food, and leave minimal cleaning for the cleaner.
If the cottage is in need of a repair the renters must notify the cottage owner immediately.
Composting toilets must be maintained according to detailed instruction.