About this listing
This home sits on 3 acres with private access to the East Verde River below the local springs. We have 8 mature apple trees, 2 cherry trees, black berry bushes, and fresh rainbow trout on property (check stock schedules & locales). Local activities include fishing, hiking, mountain biking, off-roading, hunting, and swimming in natural pools. 20 min to Tonto Natural Bridge; 15 min to Washington Peak; 4 min from Water Wheel trail head. Managers live on property to assist (in a 2nd house).
Many cabins in the area claim to be on the creek... we rented them ourselves prior to moving to the area. We found out the hard way when we ended up crossing private land and getting chased off. We offer almost 100 yards of creek access and private trout fishing opportunities on the property. There are also two crossings within ~1 mile of the house with swimming holes and more fishing, with trout stocked during the summer near public access points.
Miles of local hiking trails from beginner to advanced climbs and off-road ("two-track") trails surround the property with access to thousands of acres of exploration in the pine trees below the Mogollon Rim. Topo and trail maps are onsite at the house, and several trails start within a few hundred yards of your front door.
There are four canyon lakes within a 45 min drive, which make for excellent day tripping to check out local waters. Lakes are stocked with trout and offer bass and other mountain fishes. These mountain lakes are great for stand up paddle boarding, too!
Guest have access to a little slice of heaven. As you arrive, a shared drive-way leads you off of Houston Mesa Rd, past the manager's house, to a private house with wrap around deck situated on the creek. Guests are welcome to enjoy the entire property - save the area immediately near our home. That said, if we're out with the chickens or in the yard - come on over. Our chickens love to meet new folks!
We have plums, apples, and other fruit on the property, cherries, black berries, etc. Please help yourselves only to what you can eat immediately - leave fruit for us and others. We understand there's nothing like picking an apple and just biting right in - and we love to share so long as it's not abused.
Ultimately - our house is your house while you're here, and we wouldn't be on AirBNB if we didn't want to share. If there's any info you need, anything we can do, or any questions about the property - we expect you'll just ask.
Speaking of ask, "Do you allow dogs/pets?" We get asked over and over - and while we love dogs the answer is a firm "No", sorry, we don't. Doesn't matter what age, what kind, or how well behaved. No pets please.
Interaction with guests
We pride ourselves on service in both our professional and personal lives - and while we've spent time in big cities, we're both from the country in Arizona and Texas. Married 27 years - we're a real team, and are happy to assist with anything you need during your stay. While we'll give you space, we hope to get to know a thing or two about you while you're here. We're blessed, and have managed to make a living mixing business with pleasure. Here's a few more tid-bits about your co-hosts:
About Tim: I'm a full time technology executive, but while my full time gig is helping change the energy world with the team at Aligned Energy - I'm also one of a handful of American Canoe Association Level 3 SUP (Stand Up Paddle Board) Instructors in the US and a JP Australia SUP team rider with years of experience in the canyons, lakes, and oceans of the southwest USA. If I'm around during your stay in spring or summer - I may be able to slot a lesson for your group/family on the local municipal lake in Payson, only ~20 min from the house. Stand Up Paddle is a passion I love to share - hit me up for lessons - boards and paddles are on the property and the water is close-by!
About Melisa: I'm a photographer with over 20 years experience photographing kids/families, weddings, head-shots, magazine covers, and more - you name it I've photographed it. I still shoot - and can arrange professional family photos while you're on the property! How about updating your family portraits while you're in Payson? Just drop a private message for info.
Other things to note
We have a 5 burner family size BBQ grill (propane supplied) ready for your use. Check the photos for a shot of the grill.
The house is on well water, and while we provide bottled water we encourage you to bring your own as well.
Elk are friends not food - at least on the property. They come in often and you'll hear them at night and see them sometimes if you're an early riser. Please don't feed them - it's against the law, and dangerous as hell. ;-)
Woodpeckers sometimes see to it that you're up to greet the elk - be prepared - we do our best to shoo them off and have installed a bird balloon, but you'll experience them first hand sometimes - knocking on the house in the morning. Welcome to the woods ;-)
- No pets.
- Our hard limit is 12 guests with 6 cars max. We have capacity limits for a reason (septic capacities, trash capacities, etc.). Extra overnight guests are not allowed as "visitors", and "oops, we have a few more kids than expected" isn't helpful - thanks for understanding and respecting our rules for the home/property.
- No 4x4 or Off-roading on Property - but you're welcome to launch from the house and find trails literally everywhere around us.
- No hunting on the property. While a BB gun or Pellet gun is OK on the provided range w/provided targets - no caliber round above a .22/.25 pellet gun is allowed. No pistols or rifles or any caliber may be fired on the property. For adult shooters or supervised minors, bow and arrows are OK on the archery range provided, but no bow-hunting is allowed on this property. Do not move the targets - shoot only on the provided range after signing a range waiver with host.
- 11pm Noise Restrictions; be kind to Neighbors and kill the noise by 11pm
- If we find cigarette or cigar butts in the yard we will charge $150 for picking them up - 110% absolutely no exceptions.
- We live in a forest and seasonal outdoor fire restrictions may be in effect from time to time. Outdoor fireplace/firepit usage is per Fire Department Fire Restriction levels. If fire restrictions are in place, fires and smoking outside can bring up to a $5000 fine from local fire authorities, to you, not us.
- Wood Pellet stove on-site is NOT to be used by unsupervised minors, and should not be used over the 75% setting.
- Limit 6 cars per booking (please carpool, we can only accommodate 6 cars)
- Please see listing notes about well water vs. municipal water supply. We are on well water.
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund. Cancel within 7 days of your trip and the reservation is non-refundable.
About the home
When you stay in an Airbnb, you’re staying in someone’s home.