Soak in the "barefoot luxury" of your own 3-story luxury treehouse, on the slopes of the Maderas volcano on Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua. Relax in modern comfort of high-speed ceiling fans, hot water shower, wifi, private balconies, and incredible panoramic volcano & lake views. Walk just 10 minutes to the Maderas volcano trail entrance, or 15 minutes to the center of the town of Balgüe! Ideal for couples, groups of adventurers, business travelers, and families.
The Mango House is part of Selvista Guesthouses, a "barefoot luxury" collection of jungle guesthouses on Isla de Ometepe. The island is a lush and tropically forested UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in the middle of Lake Nicaragua, the largest lake in Central America.
The house offers a comfortable and private lodging experience with direct access to the "jungle" of the surrounding tropical forest and organic permaculture farm. The main luxury suite is on the 2nd and 3rd floors, above an open-air platform with a large hammock on the 1st floor.
The entire space is solar-powered and is a masterpiece of hand-built construction by a local team utilizing local bamboo, wood, and stone.
The 2nd floor features: luxurious Queen bed with mosquito net, laptop-friendly desk with chair, natural water filter, high-speed ceiling fans, hooks and hangers, hot water shower, double sink w/large mirrors, modern flush toilet, and private balcony.
The 3rd floor features: futon, book selection, playing cards, yoga mats, hammock chairs, private balcony, and stunning panoramic views of the volcano and lake.
Your stay also includes: secure wifi, daily housekeeping, farm-fresh breakfast, free parking (4x4 vehicle or equivalent required), full access to the open-air kitchen, full access to in-season farm fruits and organic greens garden, and a free 40-min tour of the farm property.
*** NEED MORE SPACE? ***
Check out the two other listings (identical to this one) on the same property:
- "Luxury Suite w/Volcano View - Jungle House"
- "Luxury Treehouse w/Volcano View - Jackfruit House"
Or these smaller, budget-friendly options, also on the same property:
- "Comfortable Suite w/Forest Views - Jungle House"
- "Organic Permaculture Homestead"
Guests have exclusive access to the entire 2nd and 3rd floors of the house, and full access to my jungle/farm property and the open-air kitchen where breakfast is served. You are welcome to prepare your own meals in the kitchen (shared with 3 other guesthouses on the property, but used very infrequently).
Breakfast is included with your stay and offered from 7:30-9:00am. Guests are served organic island coffee, lemongrass tea from the garden, and a plate of various farm-fresh breakfast foods prepared by a friendly local breakfast cook.
Guests are invited to take a FREE 40-min tour with the local site manager of the 1-hectare (2.5-acre) guesthouse property, which includes farm animals, tropical fruits, organic gardens, and examples of sustainability and self-sufficiency in the jungle.
Interaction with guests
I am always available for guests via Airbnb message, and I am occasionally on site when I'm not working on landscape design projects in other parts of Nicaragua.
My entire property is run by a friendly team of Spanish-speaking employees between 7am-1pm. Your farm-fresh breakfast is prepared each morning by the breakfast cook Clemencia, and your room is cleaned daily by two friendly housekeepers Estela and Lissethe. The plant nursery, garden, fruit forests, and farm animals are cared for by several friendly farm employees.
To help you make the most of your stay, I send guests a list of activities suggestions and contact info before your stay (also printed version in the room). Via internet, you can organize many activities directly with English-speaking providers while also supporting local guides and small businesses. (See this listing's Airbnb Guidebook below.)
During breakfast hours, guests are welcome to chat in the kitchen with your friendly English-speaking host about things to do on the island.
You can also purchase bottled water, soda, beer, rum, and wine at the "honesty bar" fridge in the open-air kitchen (cash only).
Other things to note
The farm is home to 3 friendly and well-behaved dogs: Vago, Osa, and Navi. They provide company and security 24/7. They are always around the property but do not enter inside the house. They sleep a lot and like to be petted (optional).
The entire property is a lush tropical forest, abundant with plant and animal life. Guests may often encounter small, shy jungle animals around the property, including birds, butterflies, bees, monkeys, frogs, toads, spiders, and small bats. Sometimes these creatures like to take shelter inside too. In keeping with our vision, we try to use natural remedies to eliminate them, which we are happy to share with you upon your arrival.
NONE of these species are aggressive, toxic to humans, or otherwise dangerous. There is only one venomous animal on the whole island, the coral snake, which is timid and rarely ever seen. These creatures are found all over the island and make Ometepe a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve that is full of natural beauty and diversity.
The site is quite private, especially in the afternoon and at night. Have a great time!
Tips to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible:
- bring a flashlight or headlamp for each person - to walk to/from town after it gets dark (6pm)
- bring hiking boots or sturdy tennis shoes - to hike the rocky farm & volcano trails
- bring eco-friendly bug spray - if you're coming the Nicaraguan rainy season of May-November
- bring cash (mix of córdobas and US dollars is fine) - for setting up activities directly with local providers; the closest ATMs are in Santo Domingo, about 20-min drive from the property
- download WahtsApp app on your mobile device - to contact local activity providers via wifi throughout your trip
- download Maps.me app on your mobile device - to navigate Nicaragua offline (!) throughout your trip
A few things to keep in mind:
1. Normal check-in time is 1:00pm or later. You are welcome to come and drop off bags if you arrive earlier. Please let me know roughly what time you plan to arrive (or which ferry you will take) so my on-site managers know when to expect you.
2. Please remove your shoes upon entering the indoor spaces to preserve the natural wood floor.
3. Please turn off fans and lights when you are not using the space. We operate on 100% solar power and appreciate your help in preserving our solar battery system. However, there are no charging limits or restrictions on ceiling fans, so you can be comfortable all day and all night.
This host has 187 reviews for other properties.View other reviews