About this listing
This Machiya, traditional house in Kyoto, used to be owned by a family which run a confectionary shop in Hongan-ji for 360years. This house was built in 1912, and the 1st floor was partially used as a shop and living space for both the family and its employers. The Tatami space on the 2nd floor was used to welcome guests and no children were allowed to enter back then.
This house is then refurbished in 2015 and revived as a Ryokan namely "Kuraya".
Since our place is your home during your stay in Kyoto, you can freely use everything inside it.
Additionally, we provide many amenities including: fresh towels and linens, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hair dryer and electric kettle.
· Our home is equipped with air conditioning.
· 2 semi double beds and 3 single futons are available.
· Cutlery and kitchenware provided.
If you have any questions regarding what you will have access to, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Interaction with guests
· We have created a Welcome Guide to ensure your smooth and pleasant stay in Kyoto. This includes: directions from Osaka's airports, specific directions from the nearest train station to our place, information on how to use the appliances in our home and our personal recommendations for exploring Kyoto!
· We have a check-in counter in front of JR Kyoto St. by 5 min walk from Center Karasuma Gate(烏丸中央口). We will sent you an instruction how to get the check-in counter after confirming your reservation.
· You can enter the accommodation after 15:00
· You can contact us through the Airbnb messaging system at any time during your stay.
Other things to note
Please kindly be aware that this Machiya house is located by the main road. We use the triple paned glass in the windows to soundproof; however, you may hear the leaks of the sound if you are too sensitive about the sound and we would like to apologise beforehand for this. Please make sure if you understand this before processing booking.
** Check-in process (MUST READ) **
Please complete check-in process at check-in office (i-Satellite) located in front of JR Kyoto station Karasuma Chuoguchi (烏丸中央口) gate before you visit the accommodation.
[Check-in office opening hours: 9:00 -21:00]
[House is available for entering after 15:00.]
**土足厳禁 / Please remove your shoes before entering.**
**深夜10時以降、お静かに願います。/ After 10 PM, please be quiet.**
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund. Cancel within 7 days of your trip and the reservation is non-refundable.
This host has 32 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
Kyoto is known as “City where everything is part of history”. People who were born and raised in Kyoto, has protected the history and culture of the city.
KURAYA is a fully restored century-old Machiya hotel. Our goal is to provide visitors with time and full experience that will let you feel the history of Kyoto.
We have designed KURAYA to provide guests “An extraordinary trip and a real experience of living in a Machiya in Kyoto.” KURAYA is not a hotel where you book a room, but where you will be able to enjoy your stay in a Machiya house, which means you have the whole house to yourselves. Each KURAYA is arranged differently from each other, and has been designed to fully experience the features of a Machiya house and its luxurious atmosphere.
Whether enjoying the spacious house with a couple of people, or staying with your family or close friends, it’s up to you. KURAYA is great for all types of traveling and just the place for long stays.