Contemporary, steel building backs up to high desert, secluded land for hiking. Private entrance to light-filled sculptor's studio turned guesthouse comfortably furnished in Santa Fe/industrial style with outdoor spa. Main room with ping pong, sofa and kitchenette. Luxurious bathroom has jacuzzi and steam shower. Two bedrooms, living room with flat screen upstairs. Minutes from Rail Runner and I-25. Easy 15-minute drive to Santa Fe (restaurants, shops, movies); 25 minutes to Plaza downtown.
Park two cars in the covered carport just steps from your private entrance with keypad entry. (More parking available on the large gravel drive.) Come into the bright living area/game room. Have fun with ping-pong, foosball, board games, children's toys and sound system (with cable for your music via your phone/iPad, etc.). Lounge, nap or sleep on the double bed and sofa. Fix your coffee/tea (coffee, teas and fixings provided) and make simple meals with your coffee maker, electric tea kettle, induction burner, microwave, kitchen sink, large refrigerator and food prep area with basic cookware and utensils. Enjoy your meals and coffee/tea at the kitchen table with stunning views of the open land and Cerrillos hills through
the mostly glass garage door. Open the glass garage door to bring the big New Mexico skies in and to access your private patio with spa, grill, bistro table and chairs. Also on the ground floor, enter your oversized, black slate bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, steam shower and granite sink. Your two bedrooms are upstairs with a queen bed in one bedroom and two Swedish beds in the other (one king and one twin). The bedrooms are off a living room with a 55" flat screen, comfy sectional, small desk nook, cozy reading nook with window, books for kids and adults and more views of the striking high desert and mountains beyond.
Guests can walk around to the other side of the house, go through two gates and be on the open high desert (secluded, accessible land). Follow the path and cairns (small rock piles to guide you) around the cactus and juniper to the river, hill with petroglyphs and trails to longer hikes, if you wish.
Guests will also have use of two bikes to ride on our country roads. (Safety vests are on the coat rack by the door for biking or walking.)
Interaction with guests
Robert is a woodworker with a shop in another building on the property and Lisa works part-time at a public school in town. We are always a phone call, text, email or knock on our front door away and are happy to answer any questions and give tips on places to visit, eat, etc.
Other things to note
High desert puts us at about 7,000 ft. No matter how fit you are, some people from lower altitudes can get headaches and feel very tired at this altitude, until their body acclimates. Common advice is to drink plenty of water, get extra rest and wait as long as possible until engaging in demanding physical activities.
High desert also means we have four seasons. There is usually a 30 degree differential between our low and high temperatures in a day. For example, 70 degrees during the day means 40 degrees at night and early morning. Please check predicted temperatures for your stay before packing, so you bring enough layers and warm clothes.
We have two hound dogs who you may see or hear, but who do not have access to any of your spaces, inside or out. Our dogs are friendly, but take their protecting duties seriously, so they may bark on our side of the house, especially when you drive in or if you come in late at night. Not to worry!
- Guest/Visitors: All people staying in the guest house for sleeping, eating and/or bathing must be registered as guests. If your number of guests changes at any time before or during your stay, please change your reservation. Only registered guests can stay in the guesthouse. Please let us know BEFOREHAND if you plan to have visitors. Visitors may stay briefly, but are not to sleep, have meals or bathe (spa/shower/tub) in the guest house. To do so, they must be registered as guests. (These activities are paid for by registering as a guest.)
- Quiet Hours: since guesthouse is attached to main house and neighborhood is quiet, quiet hours are 10pm-7am.
- Shoes: Downstairs floors have radiant heat and upstairs floors are light wood, so if possible and comfortable for you, please remove your shoes in the guesthouse.
- Windows/doors: Please make sure all windows and doors are closed when leaving guesthouse, even for short periods of time, to avoid damage from unexpected weather changes. Please lock exterior door whenever leaving guesthouse. For your security, there are locks on all exterior and interior doors.
- Toys: We welcome children and are happy to share our (now grown) children's toys with them. Please use toys gently and safely. Some toys have small parts which are not suitable for very young children.
- Fences: Our dogs are very friendly, but protective of their family and property. Please stay within patio and parking areas which are fenced. You're welcome to walk to the other end of the house and through the two gates (dog-free) to walk/hike on the open land behind the house.
- Candles/fire: For everyone's safety, please do not light candles or have fires of any kind, except in the outdoor grill provided.
- Smoking: Absolutely no smoking of any kind in guesthouse or on premises.
- Illegal Drugs: Absolutely no illegal drugs of any kind in guesthouse or on premises.
- Breakage/Damage: Guests are responsible for disclosure and payment of any damage/breakage during stay.
- Liability: By renting or occupying our guesthouse, you and your guests assume all responsibility for any injuries, accidents, thefts, or losses that may occur in or near the premises, and you and your guests waive any and all claims against us, whether arising out of our alleged negligence or any other cause.
- Communication: So that we can make your stay as pleasant as possible, please notify us promptly if you have questions about how something works. Contact us with a text, email, phone call, note under the blue door and/or knock on our front door.
- Cleaning: The cleaning fee covers a thorough cleaning after reasonable use of guesthouse. There is no housekeeping during your stay. Please keep the guesthouse tidy. Excessive uncleanliness or unreasonable use of supplies will incur extra cleaning fees.
From Dec 18, 2017 - Jan 01, 2018 the minimum stay is 6 nights.
We met through a few of our seven kids that we have between us and that's who we're usually visiting when we stay at airbnbs. Besides seeing our kids, we love meeting new people, eating new foods and learning when we travel.