Rejuvenate, relax, and explore the lesser-traveled and endlessly fascinating reaches of Oaxaca from our one-of-a-kind hacienda-style retreat on three acres of land in El Pueblo Magico de San Pablo Villa de Mitla. The property is walking distance (about 500 meters) from the ruins of Mitla and well located to explore Hierve el Agua, Santiago Matatlan, prehistoric caves, and other attractions. Rooms have private entrances, and guests have access to a fully-furnished standalone kitchen and pool.
Lyobaa is the Zapotec name for Mitla. It means place of rest.
Our home has been a labor of love for more than 30 years - a love that's readily apparent once you enter the property and experience the sense of peace that pervades it. Beginning in August 2017, rooms will be available to rent for the first time since the mid-1990s.
The guesthouse has four clean, spacious rooms available — with two double beds, a twin bed, bathroom with shower, ceiling fan, and private entrance onto a shared walkway. Beds are firm. It’s also possible to book the entire property, including the three-bedroom main house, for larger retreats.
WIFI is available in the kitchen and pool/palapa (we are debating whether to extend service to the rooms). And there’s good cell phone service throughout the property. Note that there are also two large, friendly dogs on the grounds.
All rentals include access to a swimming pool and large open-air palapa (built by palaperos from the Oaxacan coast, near Puerto Escondido), surrounded by extensive native and non-native flora. Rentals also include access to a fully-furnished large standalone kitchen and dining building—so you can walk to the excellent local market and then prepare your own gourmet meal.
Guests receive front entrance and room keys on arrival and come and go as they please. We ask that guests are considerate of others and keep noise in the common areas to a minimum after 9:00pm.
Interaction with guests
We are often on the property and always available via phone and email. When we are not there, the property's amazing caretaker will meet you. Even when we're not around, we are happy to answer any questions about the property, the town, the region, and the culture.
Other things to note
Mitla is both a perfect base for exploration and a wonderful destination in itself (having been recently designated a Pueblo Magico). From here, you can easily reach the other marvels in this part of Oaxaca: El Mercado de Tlacolula, Dainzu, San Jose El Mogote, Yagul, Monte Alban, Hierve el Agua, and Mezcal distilleries, to name a few.
We will gladly offer suggestions for local attractions, restaurants, and shopping.
- All swimming is at your own risk, and there is no swimming after dark
- No entry into main house unless reserved
- Quiet hours after 9 PM
- Full use of kitchen, no food allowed in bedroom.
- Please don't feed the dogs
- No smoking anywhere on the property
- Please treat our home as the cherished space that it is. Respect other guests if there are any on the property by not disturbing the peace.
- Airbnb holds a security deposit and automatically refunds it if no claims are made. If you lose your keys you will be charged with $20 USD to make duplicates.
- Please always lock your door when you leave. And please always lock the entrance when you leave the property. We have never had anything stolen, but we assume no responsibility for the loss of any personal items.
- Payment of your rental fee is deemed as full and final acceptance of all terms and conditions, including these rules. By booking a reservation you agree to indemnify the owners, agents, and employees of the property against any claim for liability for loss of personal property, personal injury, or death, or any claim whatsoever resulting from your residence or your guests residence at Casa Lyobaa.
This host has 3 reviews for other properties.View other reviews