When we first arrived, we saddled up and went on a horse back ride with Jo. It was one of the most memorable experiences Jason and I have ever had. Jo knows every plant, every critter, and is a great guide. We saw the land, the Jungle untouched as far as the eyes can see, heard the howler monkeys, and watched spectacular sunset, with the super moon.
The experiences we had were so personal, unique, spiritual, and full of love, and friendships made- we will go back one day. We loved it so much and feel a deep connection to the Family and the Land.
I know you are trying to decide weather are not this is the place for you, so here is a break down:
1. Its the Jungle. There are animals- critters even the plants move! Didn't see a mosquito which was surprising, so thats a huge plus. But you may have a spider or some other harmless friend visit you. be prepared to see crazy bugs and get dirty.
2. The rooms are wonderful, cozy and minimal. We stayed in the garden room 2 nights which has no electricity, the candle light and a thatch roof made for cozy fun quiet evenings. We did have a few visitors here, adds to the adventure! We moved to the the main building with electricity, a metal roof for 4 nights, and We actually missed the other room. Next time we will stay in the treehouse.
3. Miriam is a fantastic cook. Eat with them as much as you can, that was some of our favorite times, sitting with the kids and other guests around the dinner table.
4. Miriam and Jo know how to book excursions. trust them!! Do what they recommend, be open to adventures, and get an early start for the tourist traps!
5. Our top excursions were the 2 horse back rides, one to the cave, which was really incredible. we did a pontoon ride with Jo's brother Laz, and we went to Tikal.
If you are looking for a unique experience, love nature, enjoy a good adventure, and meeting new people this is the place. Leave your expectations behind, open your heart and your mind, and you will have a truly unique adventure, its the jungle, no day is the same!