This renovated train station features a large, high-ceilinged atelier and comfortable living area. Perfect for artists or sportsmen, it's located on the Housatonic River- a peaceful spot immortalized by James Thurber and in photos by Walker Evans.
This historic 1880s train depot is located in the quiet town of Cornwall Bridge, Connecticut, about two hours' drive north of Manhattan.
The two large downstairs rooms feature feature high ceilings, plenty of light and stunning woodwork. Wonderful for an artist or photographer, this space can be used as a studio, or simply as a relaxing living room. The adjoining open, modern kitchen has a full refrigerator and freezer, oven and dishwasher.
The renovated second floor, which has gables and beautifully angled walls, has two sunny bedrooms and an office with a working fireplace. The Weber BBQ grill is perfect for outdoor cooking.
There are one and a half bathrooms; the upstairs bathroom has a shower in an antique claw-foot bathtub.
Renowned for fly fishing, the peaceful Housatonic River is just across the lawn. Mohawk Ski Area is ten minutes away and other ski areas north on route 7 in Mass.
Access is to the entire house and property.
Interaction with guests
The owner will not be on site during guests' stays, but is available for any local recommendations or questions.
Other things to note
The depot is located near train tracks, which are used once or twice a day, for a small local freight train. A thrill for train buffs!
1. Hours: Check-in time is after 3 pm EST; check-out time by 11 am EST.
2. Noise: Guest shall not allow on the premises any excessive noise or other activity which disturbs the peace and quiet of the neighbors.
3. Septic: The septic system is fine; however, it will clog up if improper material is flushed. Guest will NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper.
4. Fireplace: Guest must open the damper when fireplace is in use, and close it when the fire is out.
5. Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included; daily maid service is not included.
6. Smoking/Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed inside premises. A minimum fee of $500.00 will be charged to guest if smoking- or pet-related cleaning is required.
7. Liability: Home Owner is not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises. Home Owner is not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the Guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the property or others whom they invite to use the property.
I'm a tea importer and travel in Asia extensively for work. I work in the hospitality industry and enjoy helping people experience the area. I grew up in Cornwall and as there aren't many good lodging options, I've made a local historic building (the Depot) a comfortable place to relax and a good base for exploring the region.
Formerly I was a Himalayan trekking guide for an adventure travel company and have stayed in every sort of accommodation imaginable. From this experience I hope to provide a cozy and secure place to stay.