About this listing
Five-bedroom house in one of the most famous and authentic Nicaraguan beach communities, just 15 minutes from the colonial city of León.
Located ocean-side in the small beach community of Poneloya, Nicaragua, only 18 kilometers from colonial Leon, this 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom house is perfect for a relaxing beach getaway. Come enjoy the open beach, the waves, the fresh fish, and a taste of the authentic Nicaraguan coast.
Two of the five bedrooms are equipped with AC. There is bed space for 12 people (one queen, two doubles, six singles). The appropriate number of beds will be made up with linens and you will receive a bath towel for each guest. Beach towels are not provided. Our caretaker will clean the house every other day and replace the linens once a week. The centerpiece of the house is a big, open kitchen/dining space with a huge counter for cooking, a long bar with bar stools, and plenty of space to socialize. There are large covered terraces on both the beach side and garden side of the house where you can eat or relax in the shade and the hammocks. On the beach side of the house there is a thatched roof "rancho" where you can enjoy the view of the waves.
Most renters have a car and can park it in the large yard where there is room for 3 or 4 vehicles. Poneloya can also be accessed by taxi (about $12 from Leon; $65 from the airport) or buses which leave on the hour from El Mercado Sutiava in Leon (30 minutes, about 50 cents). Leon is only about 15 minutes on a paved road by car, so it is also a great day trip to enjoy the attractions, go to the supermarket, see a movie, or enjoy some live music.
Poneloya has a few businesses - a handful of convenience stores and a few seafood restaurants that serve beer and overlook the inlet at the north end of the beach. The connected beach/village of Las Peñitas is likely where you will go for food and drinks. There are a number of small hostels and restaurants (a few minutes by car, 10 by bike, 40 by foot). The best is La Barca de Oro at the far end of the beach overlooking the estuary. You can tell the owner Sandrine that you are staying at Casa Kaya. Her staff makes wonderful fresh fish. Activities on the beach include fishing, horseback riding, boat tours through a nature-reserve, and surfing.
Nicaragua is not Mexico, and Poneloya is not Cancun. For anyone looking for nightclubs, pyramids, banana boat rides, etc.... this is not the place. Poneloya is an authentic beach community with beautiful sunsets, wide-open beaches, and some funky tourist-friendly businesses. Nearby Leon is a colonial gem, and Nicaragua in general still has a largely magical, untouched feel to it (barring a few tourist meccas like San Juan del Sur and Granada).
A few other things to note:
- Nicaragua in general is very safe, but like anywhere in Latin America, risks can be minimized by being aware. Violent crime and robbery are basically unheard of in Leon and Poneloya. Petty theft does sometimes occur. Casa Kaya can be closed and locked on both the beach and street sides. We provide an onsite night caretaker to help move in beach furniture and to make our guests feel secure.
- The house is pet friendly. Unless your dog is skinny enough to get through the gate, it can be kept inside the inner yard.
- There is no internet available at the house. You can get internet access at small businesses on the beach, as well as in Leon.
- We provide the first 5-gallon jug of drinking water and a dispenser. Replacement jugs can be purchased across the street.
- Swimming right in front of the house is one of the great things about Casa Kaya. Currents and waves can be strong at high tide. The nearby estuary is great for small kids.
- The waves out front can be good for surfing. The neighboring beach of Las Peñitas has two or three even more reliable breaks. There are some exceptional breaks that can be accessed by car.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.
*This beautiful beach house is also for sale as is, fully-furnished and functional, with a manager, caretaker, and thriving rental business. We respect the Airbnb model and their rules for outside correspondence, so you would only be able to enquire about the house sale once a rental reservation is made through this site.
Suyen (Rental Manager), Maria (Retal Agent), and Flor (Caretaker)
Guests will have private use of this fully-furnished house. This includes linens, bath towels, and all kitchen supplies.
Interaction with guests
Suyen (Rental Manager) works with guests through the inquiry process. Once a reservation is made, she passes the correspondence on to our Rental Agent Denisse who will take care of you throughout your stay. Upon arrival, guests will also meet our local caretaker, Flor.
Please see main house description.
Cancel up to 5 days before your trip and get a full refund, including service fees.
This host has 10 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
I am a teacher, writer, and traveler. After spending 15 years living and working in various cities and countries (SF, DC, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Burkina Faso) I moved to Montreal, Quebec where I received an M.A. in Educational Leadership and a Graduate Certificate in Teaching ESL at McGill University. I now live in the Hudson Valley in NY.