About this listing
Private, detached, furnished studio off 4th Ave, blocks from University of Arizona & downtown. Simple, clean, and tiny, it stays booked near solid because of the low price for the really great location close to the fun of 4th Ave and downtown.
- Small, clean, detached furnished studio
- Its diminutive size makes it best suited for solo travelers without a lot of baggage, or couples for short stays
- Recently updated: comfortable Queen bed with ventilated foam mattress topper
- A real comfort bonus is I have a large selection of quality pillows of various materials/firmness/sleep styles. Down & feather is standard in medium loft, but high loft (side sleeper) and low loft (stomach sleeper) is available upon request, as are 2 different types of memory foam, polyester (down alternative) in soft and firm, and buckwheat hull (asian style).
- Linens, towels, small desk, dresser, bookshelf, and 3/4 bath (toilet, sink & shower)
- Free 40Mbps wifi Internet, TV with USB port (no cable- major networks and local channels only, although cable can be arranged for longer stays if necessary). I have a very large selection of movies to borrow from.
- Mini-fridge with tiny freezer, microwave, toaster oven, coffee-maker, electric griddle, steamer/rice cooker, blender, dishes and a nice gas grill w/side burner outside on the deck
- AC, heat & ceiling fan
- Lovely courtyard with table & chairs
- Hot tub privileges for responsible guests
- Self-service laundry $2 per load (soap/bleach included)
- Please no smoking- we used to accommodate smoking outside on the deck, but have discovered that frequent smokers coming right back in afterward still bring in enough smoke odor that it's sometimes been noticeable by the next guest despite a thorough cleaning. Thank you for understanding.
- Please note this guesthouse is TINY: it's just a small bedroom (just large enough to fit all the above) & an attached bath (separated by a curtain). But it has vaulted ceilings and clerestory windows (on the north - great light for an artist) that make it bright & airy.
- Check-in time is generally after 5:30, but contact me to let me know when you'll arrive in Tucson, and we might be able to arrange a different time
- Check-out times vary due to my work schedule (I need time to do the laundry for the guest coming in the day you leave, before I go into work):
Noon on Sat & Sun, 11am on Tues & Thurs, 10 am on Mon, Wed & Fri
- Sorry but no pets :( I know- I have my own (that's actually been the issue)
- HUGE bonus: free bicycle to use while staying here, with basket for groceries from numerous close markets*
...just a really nice place with a quiet and secluded feel in a friendly neighborhood that's blocks from the University and right down the street from the shops, restaurants, and fun of 4th Avenue
Feel free to contact me for reduced rates for extended stays. This depends on season, but starts at $300/week (+35 for additional guest), and $750/month (+85 for additional guest). If your stay is a bit shorter than a week or month, but the seasonal extended stay pricing works out to be lower, you can pay the lower price of course. Finally, note that during the International Gem Show (generally the first 2 weeks of February), rates increase to $80/night, $450/week, or $1150 for any month-long stay involving those dates.
IMPORTANT: I don't like to charge the cleaning fees so many other places charge, instead offering you the option of cleaning yourself to avoid a fee. We used to collect a cleaning 'deposit' in cash from each guest, but since the vast majority of guests opt to clean the small space to avoid paying the fee, it's become a bit of a hassle constantly making sure we're available at both guest check-in and check-out to collect and return the cleaning deposit. So PLEASE NOTE our new policy: a cleaning fee of up to $50 will be withheld from the $300 overall 'damage' deposit, if you don't want to clean the property to the very same clean condition as when you arrived. You definitely don't have to clean if you don't want to be bothered with it, you just have the option of saving up to $50 (pretty easily) if you want. You do NOT have to do the laundry. We'll launder the bedding & towels so you don't even have to worry about making the bed. Please make sure you wipe down the shower, not just rinse it, so there aren't any water spots. Cleaning products are above the shower, and we have plenty others available if you run out. And if you miss something, don't worry- we're not going to charge you the entire $50 to clean one thing. This is just an option to avoid extra cleaning fees if you're guests like us, leaving places clean for the next folks anyway :)
Contact me for latest availability - it changes daily. Two small dogs live here (miniature greyhound, poodle mix) and 1 cat, and they have access through a pet door to the patio/backyard area. They do not have access inside the guesthouse of course.
* Please note the bike is an old single-speed cruiser that's seen younger and better days. Please understand the bike is available for use only at your own risk, and you should examine it thoroughly before each ride to make sure you are comfortable using it. We don't make any effort to inspect the bike regularly, and we do not warrant its availability, serviceability, or safety, and we hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for any injury sustained while using it, even in the event of bicycle part failure. All that said, Ol' Bailey may not be beautiful but has been a workhorse for years. (We're not lawyers- if you are please feel free to help us with our legal-speak! :)
Interaction with guests
Airbnb asks us to describe our level of interaction with guests. In my case that really depends on the guest. The guesthouse is behind my own home, but I stay busy, and I've had guests who've booked for a month and who I've barely seen. I've also had guests who I became close friends with and travel to see myself. I enjoy meeting people and I'm happy to show you the nearby downtown area of Tucson if I have time (which I often do). But a lot of guests just want a quiet place to themselves to relax, and I feel this is a great place to do that too. If you are the type that wants to be introduced to things to do in and around Tucson, don't hesitate to ask! :)
Please no smoking on the property. Please note that accidentally dropping lit cigarettes through the deck into the dried pine needles that fall beneath it would almost certainly cause a disastrous fire.
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund plus service fees back.
I'm an avid traveler and I've been hosting guests from all over the world in my guesthouse since 2008. I absolutely love to travel and my favorite experiences of all have always been meeting and staying with locals. So when I bought this place with a small guesthouse, I thought, why not host fellow travelers?