The Old School House, designed & built by "the King's carpenter", John Abel, in 1632 as part of the adjoining Lady Hawkins School, used to be the headmaster's house. Since 2006 it has been our much loved family home and in our absence we hope guests will enjoy its welcome feel as much as we do. The upper storeys rebuilt in the 1870s, are full of light & space with 4 bedrooms: 1 double bed, 1 double bed with child's bed, 1 twin, 1 with child's cabin bed for two. A large upstairs bathroom with shower, bath & WC. On the ground floor the double-windowed kitchen / breakfast room with range cooker, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster, kettle, Belfast sink, salvaged wooden worktops. Large & comfortable sitting room with sofas, chairs, rugs, Clearview woodburner, Flatscreen TV & DVD & range of books, CDs, games. Second sitting room / dining room with open fire, piano, dining table. Lower ground floor Utility room: washing machine, Butler sink, WC & Shower. South-facing windows with beautiful views across the valley, original oak floorboards and shutters throughout the ground floor, flagstone lower ground floor. Large well-stocked garden.
The house has a lovely garden for guests to use. There is a wide stone flagged patio, wildlife pond and fig tree bordering the large open lawned area which then slopes steeply down to a 'secret' lower garden with a vegetable garden, fruit trees and cottage garden plants. Outdoor furniture includes: table, benches, parasol.
Free parking on premises