Unique comfortable compact stylish double bed bedroom with mountain view. 2 blocks from uct & buzzing student Main Rd with easy access to all cafes, utilities & major lines. 10min to CBD. is centrally located on a patrolled street.
Calling all lovers of design.
A two bedroom, open plan lounge -kitchen with bathroom.
I have renovated a post war art nouveau apartment
with turn of the century lights, unique designer pieces with a contemporary edge & a splash of compact that holds character and good linens, and luxury fabrics and services throughout.
Please Note it's a 2 bedroom apartment. The front room- balcony is the rented room. The second separate room in the flat is either the host or another guest but both guests are always consulted first to see if they feel it's someone they could share with.
Free fast wifi
Range of teas, ground coffee with moca pot
heat panels & lambswool blanket
Bathroom with quality toiletries- Charlotte Rhys or 'Bodyshop'
Theatre, restaurant & cinema bookings
Sightseeing tours arranged
Laundry service on main road
A two bedroom, open plan with bathroom. Its' compact but cosy ... but holds character and good linens. I have renovated with turn of the century lights, unique designerpieces with a contemporary edge & a splash of fun.
its all user friendly but needs an awareness that are usable and covered furniture but there are special ceramic pieces and you need to be aware of glass tables & nick nacks if you are a bit clumsy or come home late.
The flat is on the first floor of a edwarian block and looks onto the back of Devils Peak and at Rhodes Memorial and University of Cape Town. The grounds shares the border with the Presidents house which makes it really safe, beautifull and quiet. You can hear little crickets and frogs at night and church bells on sunday a few minutes from mountain access with walks , jogging tracks and (email hidden)s opposite a modernist block in neighbourhood thats lush and green with a heart beat. It regularly patrolled by the police a block away, central district and various companies and is very safe.
Our block Selborne is one of three 2 storey edwarian blocks with a well maintained garden to barbeque or picnic and plenty of mint for summer drinks & salads.
We are on the Second floor facing the mountain, the block is mixed in age and race and is relaxed. Please note due to the antiques & collectables absolutely everywhere young children wont be suited.
Once up the stair and hallway:
Open plan Lounge kitchen
The lounge contains 2 sofa, an ottoman, and a chair and two large kelims in it - with a hifi, bookshelves with small design & art & dvd library.. Sorry, no TV though.Full wifi, screens and dvd available. I like to share my discoveries from auctions, travels and love of the sea and nature in the flat. The blankets are all Basotho tribal blankets inspired by my trip to Lesotho, amongst many others.
Dining : glass table comfortably 4 to eat or spread out some maps or study.
Kitchen facility: Basic with good pots, oven-microwave, a stove-top espresso maker, a stove-top kettle, hand held blender smoothy maker, toaster, and plenty of crockery and cutlery.
I have a new washing machine and we hire in a domestic for ironing and cleaning weekly.
When you stay with me my kitchen is available for your use too it is limited to a 2 plate induction stove and Microwave - oven. It's basic so not for avid cookers but super for simple meals.
A simple self help muesli and fruit breakfast with tea or coffee will always be available at no additional charge.
Bathroom: I have a huge bathtub to soak in. I dance alot so its full of salts, candles, plants, bottles and object de art and small window with sky view. A separate rain shower and good fittings.
The bedroom :
North facing with columns and large windows covering wall to wall after hip height in a modest sized rectangular shaped room.. Great side mountain views of university and the mountain from the bed and desk. The warm, breezy sunny room has a double bed with good mattress, wooden desk . Double glass door in to the lounge covered with Japanese poster and Japanese blind curtain.
In summer the apartment is nice and cool.
When you come down the stairs, you can take in the great mountain view. You're a minute's walk through the green trees from the main road to easily catch taxis or buses into town.
- About another minute you'll come through the church grounds down more stairs and you'll be on Main road Rondebosch. Across you Italian restaurant, fish shop, old drinking fountain and a bustling student village with many diverse bar/restaurant venues and coffee shops. There will be all amenities, banks, 2 shopping centers for every budget. But for any else or other main tourist thing else - you'll need a car, or use the taxis from the main road, or phone a taxi to get around, or rent a bicycle - it takes about 25 minutes to cycle into town, or 10 minutes to cycle into Newlands Forest cycle track or up to Rhodes Memorial for a Tea or lunch.
You'll be in Rondebosch, the main historical student town of the country.Its' lush leafy area with the Baxter theater one of the countries top theater on your doorstep with its small market on weekends.
Upper Rondebosch - the area our apartment is in - is removed from the hustle and bustle of Main Road and is nice and quiet.
Its' mountainous with the forest as your doorstep. Rich with history, the area has colonial and cape architecture, opposite us a classic modernist block, has a student freshness and mix of peoples, vibrant and is central to the peninsula.
When you stay with me I want you to feel at home and its cosy space. I have travelled extensively myself and will be more than willing to help you make the most of your time in our beautiful and interesting city.
If you are travelling on business and need a place which feels like home this room offers you time to relax.
Places to go & Facilities close by:
The mountain & Newlands forest 5-10 mins away with cycle and jogging tracks
Rhodes memorial & tea garden with unparalled peninsula view
Baxter theater ( one of the countries best )
Hussar Grill one of the best for steak for the longest time in c.t. all over
Vida cafe ( yes we have one here too but its nice )
National Botanical Gardens
Newlands swimming pool
Josephines Mill & Restaurant
Creamery Ice cream shop
Montebello Art Design and organic market.
Forresters Pub, oldest on country
Cassis best french confectionery
Cavendish Square, claremont shopping mall
the design & hipster haven with some grit , grace & edge.
Local Food Places: (less than 10 minutes drive)
The Test Kitchen
The Pot Luck Club
Old Biscuit Mill
The Local Grill
There is only one bathroom a large bathroom with huge tub & a good shower.
There are gentle and well maintained greens surrounding the flats for picnics and tea with a washingline at the back. There is mint everywhere a plenty in the garden beds for salads and tea..
I often have a tea or glass of wine on the stair landing it holds a great view of the mountain and I have put a beautifull wooden cape chair in the entrance hall to put outside.
Interaction with guests
A warm, knowledgable and welcoming born and breed Capetonian. I have all the inside information to make a great trip...! and can recommend great things to do from surfing to climbing table mountain to the art gallery & design circuit & local neighbourhood goods markets.
Other things to note
The guest house is typically serviced once a week midweek around lunch time - our staff cleans all rooms and provides laundry service only on those days unless otherwise agreed. You are expected to do all general cleaning yourselves , this is to take care of dust, fridges and extra work tot keep it tip-top but daily sweeps and keeping bathrooms cleaned is for your side.
There is a washing machine and we expect guests to respect the fact that is not a hotel but a self-catering guest house e.g. no turn down service.
Any questions or concerns about your stay please address to Michelle via the contact details provided.
It is the guests responsibility to respond to our reservation confirmation with flight details and approximate arrival time.
Checkin can be arranged preferably before 9pm and check-out before 10am unless otherwise arranged. Please also remember to SMS/email/phone when you land at the airport so that we are able to welcome you at the premises on time.
Please like anywhere in south africa be care-full of crime . Be alert, and If you feel uncomfortable about any one listen to that.
We live 3 blocks from the police station and another 3 blocks form uct security so are regularly patrolled and its a active street with alot of surveillance and its a well frequented street thats generally safe.
Please take precious care with the antiques & treasures its been a curation thats' unfolded and its a special place we'd like to keep unique.
All chairs are not to be rocked and are all collectors items.
Any damages will come off the deposit.
Their is a manual and inventory of the story of the apartments furniture and also its price list. Please aquaint yourself with this.
Enjoy yourself relax but please please don't smoke inside at All. There is a courtyard & stair balcony to relax, with ashtray and the wi-fi is accessible there. This is non-negotiable in any form. Please don't leave the door to the hallway open if you are in the garden.
Please Be nice to the neighbours, we like them and they really like us lets keep it that way !
The rest : We don't have any super strict house rules and want our guests to enjoy themselves. At the same time, we assume common sense in the behaviour of our guests and respect for our property designed and decorated with lots of love at a considerable expense and time.
Unfortunately, for legal/insurance reason we need to inform you of a couple of important issues. The following should be read & understand/adhered to by all of our guests:
1) House manual available in the guest house and in the main house with information about the house, house rules and tips and recommendations for Rondebosch and Cape Town
2) Any Signs around the house and property please read and pay attention
3) Use of wifi/Internet at no extra cost. Speed is paid for 10 Mbps but provider passes through approximately 6 Mbps which changes at times. The use of Internet web sites and the Internet connection is at the responsibility of the actual user. Use of illegal sites is prohibited as well as mass-emailing.
4) Kids and additional guests are not permitted unless expressed in writing with the owner.
5) No partying and excessive use of alcohol permitted. Respect other guests and neighbours. The by-laws of the City of Cape Town and South Africa must be followed (search them on the Internet if not sure). Any mis-use of alcohol or the use or carrying of drugs will be prosecuted under South African law.
6) Parking at your own risk outside the property.If you park anywhere in the country don't leave valuables visible inside your car.
8) Use the provided keys to lock the main doors and gates of the property at all times. Make sure the locks are turned at least once to close properly. It is your responsibility to assure they are locked at all times. Do not lose keys and in case of loss notify us immediately.
9) No pets allowed. No smoking allowed inside the house, and in the garden. Only smoking permitted on the deck and patios, use ash trays.
10) Kindly note that the South African Department of Home Affairs has implemented new rules with the Immigration Amendment Acts of 2007 and of 2011 (implemented in 2014) which requires guest houses to keep records of their foreign guests / tenants, including passport and visa copy, and full home address, for 2 years. Kindly email us a copy of your passport prior arrival as well as your full foreign address so we can comply with these new requirements.
We love to get to know our guests, and if you are into sports cycling, running, surfing, dance or adventure sports and theater and astronomy I recommend or join up or give a good guide - & great to do things together. We became friends with many of our guests and look forward having you with us!