About this listing
You can book your own wooden Little House in the charming garden of Nancy & Hans Wiltink, called 'Garden at Sea' (Tuin aan Zee). An oasis in the city, next to an old lock in the canal. It's built as a place to relax, no cooking facilities.
Long ago (once upon a time) the water between the city of Amsterdam and this garden was a salty sea.
Huge tall-ships passed the lock, coming back from the Indies, loaded with spices and other goods. The area later developped as an industrial area, with shipyards and related industries.
Nowerdays the North part of Amsterdam - Amsterdam across the sea so to speak - is rediscovered, and is seen as one of the most trendy neighbourhoods of the world.
nancy works as a storyteller, Hans is consultant for sustainable projects.
Your own 'Little House' is in the garden, you have your own sitting space and share the garden with us. There is a fresh water swimming pond (no chlorides), chickens roam around and an orchard with pear trees, plums and cherries.
Interaction with guests
We live in our own house. Interaction is an option, you can just pick up the key and we respect your privacy. Nancy organises storytelling tours that you can book as an extra. Any time we are at home we love to give you tips about what to do or where to go.
Other things to note
In your little house and in the garden:
- Traditional dutch cupboardbed (sleeps 2)
- Small loft with 2 beds
- Sitting area
- Woodstove inside, open fireplace outside with BBQ opportunity
- Free coffee, tea, dutch breakfast biscuits with homemade jam & traditionale Duivenkater bread with butter
- No cooking facilities or oven other than a small microwave
- Free wifi
- Free parkingspace (nocampers or mini-vans)
- Private terrace
- Lots of books to trade, read & games to play
- Nancy's top 10: the ten nicest restaurants, walks, teraces, trips, shops etc.
- A natural swimmingpool
- Jam and honey from the garden.
- We can fill the fridge with (real) breakfast or local beer & bites
- Nancy can take you on a walking or biking storytour, ask for price & route
Breakfast next door (starting 9.00a.m.) 3-5 min walk
- Open Coop mo-fr.
- A-lab: Coffee Virus mo-fr
- Café de Pont mo-su
Or take the ferry to Centraal Station, many breakfast opportunities starting at 6.00
- No pets and no smoking
- Clean up if you make a mess, pay damage.
- The natural swimming pool is not fenced off. Children that can't swim should never be left alone outside the house.
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund plus service fees back.