This fully-furnished space with attached bath was the original master-bedroom in a nearly 2000-sq. ft., 4-bed/3-bath home. As a pilot and diver, the decor is themed for the air & the sea. Animal-lovers only, though -- I have a fairly large dog and 2 cats!
As I am a pilot and diver, the house is themed with aviation and nautical decor.
Exclusive use of the original house master bedroom with attached 3/4 bath (a new master suite was constructed as an addition). Also defined use of the kitchen, laundry, and front room, gym, and yards. (See House Rules).
Interaction with guests
I keep a pretty busy schedule, but am more than happy to help in any way I can.
Other things to note
Adjusted Security Deposit applies for long-term stays.
The House Rules are intended to help promote harmony by clarifying everyone's rights, duties, and responsibilities. The following outlines the terms of your stay in my home. These terms shall also apply to any guests or invitees of yours during your AirBn'B visit. PLEASE READ IN ADVANCE OF BOOKING YOUR RESERVATION. Thank you!
1. TERM: AirBn'B guests are only permitted to stay for the duration of their reservation as booked through the AirBn'B service. There will be no extended stays or payments considered outside of AirBn'B—no exceptions. Further:
(a) I remain a full-time resident, even during any of my extended absences, regardless of the length of the AirBn'B reservation.
(b) Except for the private bedroom with attached bathroom, I (your host) retain priority use over the shared areas of the house (i.e. kitchen, laundry, etc.) (I promise to be extremely reasonable about this.)
(c) No person, other than as designated in the AirBn'B reservation agreement, shall occupy any shared or exclusive space.
2. KEYS: You will be issued a set of house-keys for your stay. Failure to return any keys or issued remotes is subject to a $50 replacement cost, per key/remote. There is a $750.00US deposit required to serve as security for any potential damage caused during your AirBn'B stay. AirBn'B verifies funds, but does not charge for the security deposit unless/until a claim is made. Any unreturned and unreimbursed keys/remotes will be claimed, at this cost, against your security deposit.
3. UTILITIES: In addition to the standard utilities (water, city services, power, and gas), your reservation includes house WiFi (and wired) Internet. For extended stays (one month or more), the consumable utility usage (water, power, and gas) will be evaluated periodically. Should your usage be excessive (more than 15% increase over the average for the previous 12 months), you will be liable for the excess costs. I retain sole and exclusive control over all central air and heating adjustments, though I will certainly factor in guest comfort and all reasonable requests.
4. FURNISHINGS: The bedroom features an adjoining private bathroom and two full wall closets. It is furnished with a full bed, one dresser with mirror, one cedar chest, a small desk, a hanging shelf assembly, and a standing bookshelf. There is also a small refrigerator/freezer and storage cabinet in the room for guest food. (Guests do have use of the kitchen, but keeping separate refrigerator/cupboard space allows for divergent eating habits, and clear boundaries on belongings.) Any additional room furnishings are at at your sole discretion, but must be removed upon your check-out/move-out. You are responsible for maintenance and care of all furnishings while in your possession. If you need more space for personal belongings, you must secure separate and off-property storage at your own expense.
5. AMENITIES: Shared common areas consist of a living room, a full kitchen (see Rule #4 above, regarding food storage), a utility room with washer and dryer, an additional house bathroom, front and back yards, and a gym area within a detached garage. Common areas are fully furnished and no guest may not alter, rearrange, store, or replace furnishings, appurtenances or décor without the host's express written permission. You may use use washer and dryer—though you must provide your own personal laundry supplies—and kitchen facilities, as designated. (Please do not leave dishes in sink for longer than a day!) You may also use any TVs and attached devices, music systems, and lounging facilities in all common areas of the house and yard. No media (including any DVD, game, tape, data-storage or music CD, or book) may leave the area in which it is stored. ***Please ask permission before playing my piano!***
6. CONDITION OF PREMISES: You are expected to keep the room, bathroom, and all common areas in a neat and sanitary condition and to immediately reimburse your hosts for any sums necessary to repair any item, fixture or appurtenance that needs service due to your misuse or negligence (intended or not), including the cleaning or repair to any plumbing fixture where a stoppage has occurred. You may not make any alterations to the room or premises, or any belongings, without my written permission. Paint, bleach, dyes and other tinting agents and damaging chemicals or substances are not permitted in any carpeted area or on any hardwood floors. NO TOBACCO SMOKING is permitted anywhere indoors, or within 20’ of apertures (i.e., doors and windows).
7. PARKING: Adequate off-street parking is generally available. Please take caution to observe city parking regulations, as you are responsible for any fees, fines, or parking violations incurred during your stay. On occasion, we *may* be able to accommodate parking for one (1) designated vehicle in the front driveway, provided this does not block access to other parking, and the vehicle does leak or seep fluids. No AirBn’B guest may wash, repair, or paint in the driveway or any other common area on the premises without my express permission.
8. NOISE AND DISRUPTIVE ACTIVITIES: No AirBn’B guest may disturb, annoy, endanger nor inconvenience any other house occupant or neighbor, nor violate any law, nor commit or permit waste or nuisance in or about the premises. Further, do not keep anything in or about the premises that will obstruct the public spaces.
9. ANIMALS: Other than my animals (one medium-size dog, and two cats), no additional dog, cat, bird, fish or other domestic pet or animal of any kind may be kept on or about the premises. I am not responsible for any allergic reactions or other adverse interaction with my animals. Please maintain reasonable responsibility for keeping food and valued possessions secured in any common area accessible to the animals, and be cautious with outside doors.
10. PERSONAL PROPERTY: You may maintain a personal property insurance policy to cover any losses sustained to your personal property or vehicle. By booking your reservation, you acknowledge that I do not maintain insurance to cover your personal property damage or loss caused by fire, theft, rain, water overflow/leakage, acts of nature, and/or any other causes. Please check the AirBn’B policy on insurance and personal property.
11. VACATION OF PREMISES: Once you vacate the room, any and all personal property left behind shall be stored for a period of no more than 14 days, at the rate of $10/day. If within that time period, you do not claim your property, I may dispose of it in any manner I choose.
**DO NOT forward your mail with the USPS to my home.** You may receive direct, individual mail at my home (from an employer, for example) with prior permission, however, any packages and/or mail received after your stay, are not my responsibility and will not be forwarded. **I HIGHLY recommended renting a Post Office Box (PO Box) or Personal Mail Box (PMB) for any regular mail!**
Finally, please respect the recycling, resource, and energy conservation habits of the household. Thank you!
I am a pilot and diver, and work in these two industries to support my habits of eating and living indoors. I teach in the Pilot Training Program of the Aviation Department at Glendale College, conduct research for the Federal Aviation Administration through a subcontract with Purdue University, and am technical editor and senior operations manager at Pilot Getaways Magazine.
I also do various other product and system design, development, and analysis projects associated with diving (SCUBA & free-) and aviation. I focus on language and culture within these industries, as well, working with deaf and disability cultures, as well as those more geographically diverse. I am conversational in ASL, and a number of spoken languages, though not particularly fluent.
I will work or conduct research in exchange for sushi. ;-)