About this listing
Nothing else like this: newly renovated Magnolia basement conversation, with private entrance, 2 large bedrooms, living room, full kitchen with brand new appliances, private bathroom, washer/dryer, internet, cable, TV's in all rooms, and off street parking in one of only two of the quietest and safest suburban neighborhoods close to downtown-WITH LAKE ACCESS!
It's also a great location if you're planning to catch a cruise from Seattle as it's about 5-10 min. from both cruise terminals.
Enjoy the convenience of being close to downtown Seattle, without having to deal with the hassles of downtown living in the quiet suburb of Magnolia. WA.
This 1950's throwback home has a daylight basement that has been converted into a 1100 square feet duplex style rental. It has a private entrance, laundry, kitchen, living room and 2 bedrooms. The kitchen is being remodeled with granite counter tops, stainless steel range oven, microwave and dishwasher. You'll enjoy lots of natural light and beauty through the windows in each room. Bedrooms are generous in size with new carpet.
The rental is located on a 5000 square foot corner lot with a large double park driveway in addition to ample street parking.
Very close to downtown Seattle, grocery stores, a 25 minute drive to the SEATAC airport and 5-10 minute drive to all cruise terminals. It's in a quiet and peaceful neighborhood that completes the package.
CRUISE ACCOMMODATION AVAILABLE:
This rental is only 21 miles from the Seattle cruise terminals (and 28 miles from SEATAC airport), so if you're in Seattle and are "going to" or "returning from" a cruise, ask about our unadvertised Cruise Accommodation special offers and availability. (Requires proof of cruise booking at time of reservation).
Since it's a duplex style rental you’ll get the benefit of having a HUGE PRIVATE: fully furnished 1000 square foot daylight basement MIL conversion rental unit, with private entrance, 2 bedroom rental that includes 3 Queen Beds, full kitchen (microwave,refrigerator, range/oven for cooking, sink and dishwasher), living room, bathroom, 2 off-street parking spaces and a shared yard. You will also receive free guest access to our lake lot on Lake Sammamish (Requires separate reservation and subject to availability).
Interaction with guests
There will be LITTLE to NO interaction between the host and guest, but there is a full-time tenant in the upper rental portion of this property. However, you will have your own entrance to the rental with electronic key code access. Host is local and usually available to assist with technical difficulties should they arise or answer housing and logistical questions as needed.
This rental is centrally located: about 7 minutes from downtown Seattle, shopping and entertainment centers, 30 minutes from Microsoft headquarters, 25 minutes from SEATAC airport and 5-10 minutes from cruise terminals.
Magnolia is one of the BEST cities to live in because it's as close as you can live to downtown without actually having to be downtown. It's also why the majority of professional WA based athletes live in Magnolia. Additionally, it's right on the Pacific Coast shoreline so you'll only be a 5 minute drive from beautiful, scenic ocean views.
Other things to note
Having done this for over a year now, here's what we've learned: if the following requested Reservation Information isn't provided as part of your initial request, it usually means 1) the person hasn't read the house rules before making the request or 2) the person doesn't care about rules. As a result, reservation requests that, at a minimum, don't provide the following information will be denied without further explanation—because logically, more than likely the guest is going to show up and break the house rules too. So please understand, just like when you first meet someone and ask to be invited into their house, this is your first introduction to us and the first impression you're going to make about the type of person you are, and ability/willingness to follow our house rules.
WHY THE DAILY RATE:
Our daily pricing is automated through AirBnB and works just like a standard airplane or hotel reservation such that the prices change daily based on supply and demand for our area and season--so please don't ask for the price you saw several days ago. However, once your reservation request is approved you will have a price lock for 24 hours.
So in order to approve your rental request and for us to be covered by our insurance policy, when requesting a reservation YOU MUST provide the following information.
1. Is this rental for you or for someone else? If it is for someone else, at least one of the people that will be staying here needs to create a verified profile on AirBnB. We need to do this for our insurance so that there can be at least one person on premises that will be considered the liable party. ONCE AGAIN: THE INDIVIDUAL THAT MAKES THE RESERVATION MUST BE STAYING IN THE RENTAL. SO, DO NOT BOOK FOR SOMEONE OR OTHER GUESTS IF THE PERSON THAT MADE THE RESERVATION IS NOT GOING TO BE PRESENT THE [ENTIRE TIME]. WHOEVER IS GOING TO BE HERE THE ENTIRE TIME, NEEDS TO CREATE THEIR OWN AIRBNB PROFILE, VERIFIED AND MAKE THE RESERVATION. NO GUEST(S) WILL BE ALLOWED INTO THE RENTAL UNTIL THE PERSON THAT MADE THE RESERVATION IS PRESENT AND HAS BEEN IND. HENCE, IF THE PERSON THAT MADE THE RESERVATION IS FOUND TO NOT BE HERE DURING THEIR RESERVATION, EVERYONE WILL BE REQUIRED TO LEAVE THE RENTAL IMMEDIATELY AND ALL OF YOUR FEES AND PAYMENTS MADE FOR THE RESERVATION WILL BE FORFEITED AND NOT REFUNDED. (There can be NO EXCEPTION to this rule. Seriously, be considerate and put yourself in the host’s shoes: as a host we allow “guests” into our houses based on the assumption that they have been TRUST VERIFIED and REVIEWED, otherwise, we'd just be allowing total strangers into our houses).
2. What are the approximate ages of the guests that will be staying (infants and toddlers count as guest too)?
Please remember, only people that are on the reservation are allowed to access the property and are covered under the terms of your AirBnB reservation.
If you need to substitute a guest, you must first inform the host and obtain permission.
We have a minimum 2 night requirement for staying at our home. This just allows us to manage our guests and home at the highest quality of service.
The living and both bedrooms have a TV. The living room has cable and the bedrooms have can be connected your portable device to stream TV/Movies from our cable service. Specifically you'll have access to over 120 cable channels including HBO® and Streaming TV/Movies options, plus High-Speed WiFi internet.
PLEASE DO NOT RESERVE FROM US IF FOLLOWING OUR HOUSE RULES ON YOUR OWN ARE TOO MUCH TO ASK, OR WE WILL HAVE TO CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION IF WE HAVE TO ENFORCE ANY OF THESE RULES DURING YOUR STAY. That said, thank you for your interest in renting from us. We appreciate you considering us. But again, in fairness, please understand that this rental is not for everyone, and upon reading the House Rules you’ll know why.
In short, we’ve been as thorough as possible in detailing what’s required for us to open our personal living residence to accommodate your rental request, and in exchange we expect you to read the house rules and follow them, without also needing us to babysit guests by requiring us to constantly enforce the House Rules. So if following rules, on your own, is too much to ask, please do not request a reservation here. We know that may sound harsh, but its better that you know this up front, and if, like us, you’re a guest that knows how to follow rules and be a respectful guest in someone’s house, you will have a great time in our rental.
When it comes to our House Rules we are firm but fair when it comes to enforcing the rules.
So please understand that one of the benefits of using our rental through AirBnB is that our accommodations will be more private and personable because we operate as a small company, yet we also have a full-time tenant that lives on the property. As a result the House Rules that we require you to follow were created to guarantee that we can ensure your safety and ability to have a pleasurable stay while also ensuring that the rental is professionally maintained to properly service reservations immediately after you; all the while being mindful that this is still a private residence for us and our neighbors.
In other words, please remember that it's not just your rental we're working hard to personally accommodate—there are guest immediately after you, and that live on this property.
BY REQUESTING A RESERVATION, AND UPON ACCEPTANCE OF SAID RESERVATION, YOU AGREE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING:
We apologize in advance for needing to have so many rules. While you may be one of the most respectful and responsible people on earth with the utmost of values--not everyone that requests a reservation is, and unfortunately, we have to specifically outline, in detail what is and isn't acceptable behavior for our rentals. So when it comes to our House Rules, we are firm but fair. So please understand that one of the benefits of using our rental through AirBnB is that our accommodations will be more personable and private because we operate as a small company, yet we also live on the property. As a result the House Rules that we require you to follow were created to guarantee that we can ensure your safety and ability to have a pleasurable stay, while also ensuring that the rental is professionally maintained to properly service the reservations immediately after you; all the while being mindful that this is still a private residence for us, and our neighbors. In other words, please remember that it's not just your rental we're working hard to personally accommodate—there are guest immediately after you, and it's also where we live, and like to call home. So without further ado...
1.Do not disturb the neighbors with non-emergency questions or issues you may encounter about your rental or reservation. If you have an emergency, please call 911 otherwise for non-emergencies please try calling the host first, leave a message for the host if you get no response, then email the host if needed, followed by contacting AirBnB (Seriously, I can't believe we have to post these types of common sense things either). The point is, please respect the privacy of our neighbors.
2.We allow children, but those under 12 years old require approval on a case by case basis.
3. We have a ZERO NO SMOKING POLICY (this includes marijuana) in the duplex or within 50 feet of the duplex under any circumstances. Doing so will be an AUTOMATIC FORFEITURE OF YOUR DEPOSIT AND NON-REFUNDED CANCELLATION OF YOUR RESERVATION. There is a designated smoking area IN FRONT of the Stop Sign on the corner of 30th and Tilden (but please do not smoke near the driveway or backyard fence). And unfortunately, in order to prevent people from trying to smoke in the duplex and cover the smell, we cannot allow the excessive use of personal air fresheners, colognes or perfumes in the duplex; if you have a concern about a smell in the duplex that you think requires the use of an air freshener please contact the host for assistance to resolve the problem. Please respect the no smoking rule as it impacts our personal living space upstairs and that of the guests renting the duplex after you.
4. While the duplex can easily sleep 5-6 people, the maximum reservation that will be accepted is 6 (and no more guests than what you book). If you are planning to reserve for more than 4 people please be sure to provide details about your stay, along with the names and ages of your guests. And please remember this is a quite property and no parties or social gathering of any type are allowed.
5. This is a QUIET house and neighborhood, so no rude or excessively loud behavior such as: screaming adults/children [indoors and outdoors], honking car horns or loud music in the driveway, slamming doors/gates, parties or large gatherings not previously discussed and approved by host (especially during the hours of 10pm – 8am).
No behavior of this type will be allowed under any circumstances; doing so will be an automatic forfeiture of your deposit and non-refunded cancellation of your reservation.
And out of respect for our neighbors, please be extra vigilant to be quiet as you walk along the shared fences between the hours of 10pm - 8am.
The Garbage Disposal:
Is designed to dispose of soft foods only, and only in small quantities, while being flushed down drains with large quantities of water. Should the sink become unreasonably clogged during or immediately after a guests stay, and it is determined that it was the result of guest neglect or guest error, the minimum cost is $300.00, and will be deducted from the guest’s security deposit.
•Do not put stringy food product such as cornhusks, celery, banana peels, potato peelings, citrus fruit peels, artichoke leaves, onions, etc. into your disposal, use the trash can.
•Do not put coffee grounds, uncooked rice, or other granular food product into the disposal, use the trashcan.
•Do not put grease such as bacon fat, meat drippings, lard, butter, salad oils and dressing down the drain. Place it in containers such as old milk cartons, cans, plastic bags, etc. and use the trashcan.
Plugged toilets usually require use of a plunger provided. If this doesn’t work, a plumber is required to remove the toilet and clear the obstruction from below. Should the sink become unreasonably clogged during or immediately after a guests stay, and it is determined that it was the result of guest neglect or guest error, the minimum cost is approximately $300.00, and will be deducted from the guest’s security deposit.
•Do not dispose of feminine hygiene products in a toilet – use the trashcan.
•Children’s toys, bottle caps, etc. will not pass through a toilet.
•Do not dispose of paper products such as Q-tips, wrappers, cigarettes, etc. in toilets.
•Do not use excessive amounts of tissue in toilets.
7. Prior to being given access to the lake lot and facilities, anyone that is going to the lot must sign or be listed on the attached Waiver and Release of Liability form. Upon receiving a completed form guests will be given the combination to access the lot. The lot is adjacent to two other private properties so please be respectful of our lake neighbors and their property. Please Note: You understand that accessing our private lake lot is a complimentary feature to your rental reservation. The lot is Private Property and ONLY people with a current rental reservation, and a signed release form can use the lake for the duration of your reservation. Any unauthorized access to the lake lot will be considered TRESPASSING under the law. If it is discover that you or your guest have allowed other unauthorized guest or friends onto the lot, you will lose all lot privileges for the remainder of your reservation, and be required to use the State's public entrance to the lake, 5.3 miles away. We truly want all of our guest to be able to use the lake while they're here, so please don't make us have to enforce this rule.
8. Host shall be excused from performance and shall not be in default in respect of any said obligation to the extent that the failure to perform such obligation is due to a Natural Force Majeure Event.
OFF LIMIT AREAS
1. With exception to use of the washer, dryer and cleaning detergent, all property and items in the garage are property of the host or the full-time tenant, and are not included as part of your rental. Please do not use any items in the garage without first contacting the host for approval.
Feel free to park in the drive way but please park all the way to the right. You can also park on the street in front of the house. Do not park more than 2 cars in front of the house at the same time. If you need more than 2 parking spaces, please park the additional cars on the near the back yard of the house, along 30th Ave. Do not park additional cars on Tilden.
ONLY PEOPLE ON THE RESERVATION ARE ALLOWED IN THE DUPLEX
There are two major reasons why we can only allow the people on your reservation to stay in the rental: namely Insurance. AirBnB provides hosts with an insurance policy to cover damage that may occur to the house as a result of a rental, however, it only covers the people that are named on the reservation. If anyone else is in the rental and something occurs, the policy becomes Null and Void because they will not assume responsibility for people that were not on the original reservation (this stems from several highly publicized bad AirBnB incidents in the past where a verified AirBnB guest rented a house for a specific number of guests, then turned the rental into a “House Party" resulting in damage that couldn't be covered by the small security deposit). Similarly, our home owner’s insurance policy works the same way. Normally we are only allowed to rent out the duplex to full-time renters with renters insurance to cover any possible damage, but since the rentals go through AirBnB they allow us to do it because the AirBnB rental policy covers them. So when you book through AirBnB I am beholden to them to follow their insurance policy requirements when it comes to not allowing more people into the house for gatherings, in order to protect ourselves. This is also why we have to follow the same strict no authorized guest policy for visiting our lake property and having everyone sign waivers.
DEPARTURE DAY INSTRUCTIONS:
1. If you have not requested and been approved for a late checkout, please check-out by your schedule time of 11am. (Since we have only one space and there's likely someone scheduled to check-in after you, our cleaning crew arrives promptly at 11am and it will take them approximately 4 hours to prepare the room for our next guest checking in at 3pm. If you just need to store your luggage here until your flight, we're happy to assist you with that).
2. Take out your garbage before you leave, put used dishes into the dishwasher and start it before you leave. The City of Seattle is strict about placing garbage in the correct bins so please separate recyclables from garbage and food waste accordingly.
3. Remove all washable linens from the beds in the laundry basket near the washer and dryer (and any used towels).
4. Turn off the AC/Heaters when you once you've checked out.
5. Please send me a quick email to let me know that you've departed so we or the cleaning crew don't walk in on you by accident.
If you need assistant or help with anything during your departure and we are around, please let us know and we'll try to assist you as best possible.
ADDITIONAL TERMS OF RENAL AGREEMENT
In addition to the standard terms included herein, Guest acknowledges and agrees that the following additional terms and conditions apply to the Guest’s rental of the Property:
This Rental Agreement and Contract (the “Agreement”) is a legally binding agreement made and entered into as of your confirmed Reservation Dates and between the undersigned person(s) or company (the “Guest”) and the undersigned owner, manager or agent (“Rental Agent”), pursuant to which the Guest has agreed to rent the residence described below (the “Property”), for the duration of the Rental Term for the Total Rental Fee and other good and valuable consideration as described herein.
This Agreement contains the entire agreement between the parties with regard to the rental of the Property, and any changes, amendments or modifications hereof shall be void unless the same are in writing and signed by both the Guest and the Rental Agent. This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of Washington State. The words “Rental Agent” and “Guest” shall include their respective heirs, successors, representatives. The waiver or failure to enforce any breach or provision of this Agreement shall not be considered a waiver of that or any other provision in any subsequent breach thereof. If any provision herein is held invalid, the remainder of the Agreement shall not be affected. Any notice required to be given under this Agreement shall be in writing and sent to the contact information included herein. This Agreement may be signed in one or more counterparts, each of which is an original, but taken together constitute one in the same instrument. Execution of a digital signature, by a confirming digital acceptance, shall be deemed a valid signature.
Guest agrees that no more than 6 persons shall be permitted on the Property at any time during the Rental Term, all of whom shall comply with the conditions and restrictions imposed upon Guest under this Agreement.
CONDITION AND USE OF PROPERTY
The Property is provided in “as is” condition. Rental Agent shall use its best efforts to ensure the operation of all amenities in the Property, such as internet access or cable TV access or hot tubs, fireplaces as applicable. Rental Agent shall not be held responsible for such items failure to work, but will make every effort to correct any issues as reported as quickly as possible. Guest acknowledges that use of amenities such as hot tubs, pools, spas, fireplaces, decks, and the like may be potentially dangerous and involve potential risks if improperly used, particularly with regard to children and such use is at the Guest’s own risk.
Guest shall use the Property for residential purposes only and in a careful manner to prevent any damage or loss to the Property and keep the Property in clean and sanitary condition at all times. Guest and any additional permitted guests shall refrain from loud noise and shall not disturb, annoy, endanger, or inconvenience neighbors, nor shall Guest use the Property for any immoral, offensive or unlawful purposes, nor violate any law, House Rules or ordinance, nor commit waste or nuisance on or about the Property.
If Guest should fail to comply with the conditions and obligations of this Agreement, Guest shall surrender the Property, remove all Guest’s property and belongings and leave the Property in good order and free of damage. No refund of any portion of the Total Rental Fee shall be made and if any legal action is necessary, the prevailing party shall be entitled to reimbursement from the other party for all costs incurred.
ASSIGNMENT OR SUBLEASE
Guest shall not assign or sublease the Property or permit the use of any portion of the Property by other persons who are not family members or guests of the Guest and included within the number of and as permitted occupants under this Agreement.
RISK OF LOSS AND INDEMNIFICATION
Guest agrees that all personal property, furnishings, personal affects and other items brought into the Property by Guest or their permitted guests and visitors shall be at the sole risk of Guest with regard to any theft, damage, destruction or other loss and Rental Agent shall not be responsible or liable for any reason whatsoever.
Guest hereby covenants and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Rental Agent and their agents, owners, successors, employees and contractors from and against any costs, damages, liabilities, claims, legal fees and other actions for any damages, costs, attorney’s fees incurred by Guest, permitted guests, visitors or agents, representatives or successors of Guest due to any claims relating to destruction of property or injury to persons or loss of life sustained by Guest or family and visitors of Guest in or about the Property and Guest expressly agrees to save and hold Rental Agent harmless in all such cases.
Guest hereby waives and releases any claims against Rental Agent, the Property owner and their successors, assigns, employees or representatives, officially or otherwise, for any injuries or death that may be sustained by Guest on or near or adjacent to the Property, including any common facilities, activities or amenities. Guest agrees to use any such facilities or amenities entirely at the Guest’s own initiative, risk and responsibility.
ENTRY AND INSPECTION
Rental Agent reserves the right to enter the Property at reasonable times and with reasonable advance notice for the purposes of inspecting the Property or showing the Property to prospective purchasers, renters or other authorized persons. If Rental Agent has a reasonable belief that there is imminent danger to any person or property, Rental Agent may enter the Property without advance notice.
UNAVAILABILITY OF PROPERTY
In the event the Property is not available for use during the Rental Term due to reasons, events or circumstances beyond the control of Rental Agent, Rental Agent will apply due diligence and good faith efforts to locate a replacement property that equals or exceeds the Property with respect to occupancy capacity, location and value that meets the reasonable satisfaction of the Guest. If such replacement property cannot be found and made available, Rental Agent shall immediately return all payments made by the Guest, whereupon this Agreement shall be terminated and Guest and Rental Agent shall have no further obligations or liabilities in any manner pertaining to this Agreement.
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund plus service fees back.
This host has 38 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
::: FYI: There is an Automated Host Cancellation review that has been left on my account, but the details surrounding that cancellation is that the AirBnB system allowed the customer to place an "Instant Booking" reservation for my Magnolia rental, 2 days before his arrival, but the remodel wasn’t schedule to be done for another 30 days. As a result, I immediately contacted the guest (within 5 minutes) to let him know of the error so that it wouldn't impact his trip, and gave him a 100% refund. I felt the need to mention this because I don't cancel reservations, when someone’s trip is depending on me to follow through with their reservation--that would just be a lack of integrity, and not the way I live...or operate my businesses. :::
Hi and thank you for visiting our listing. My wife and I operate a new tourist rental company called Lake Sammamish Rentals and we do all of the residential bookings through AirBnB. We are new to AirBnB but we’re not new to the rental business. In fact, we’ve been doing it longer than AirBnB. If you ever rented a private RV in San Diego you probably rented it from us, or at least ran across our business. In fact, if you go to YouTube and search for “ComeGetMyRV Fox 5 News” you can see the news segment as well as other customer testimonials about the quality of rental service we’ve been providing since 2006. But before you ask, and start planning an RV road trip to San Diego we sold the RV business, moved to WA, used our prior experience from that business and now have rental properties in Seattle and Sammamish.
The Sammamish lake view property is located on the "East Side," an area that is known for being more of a suburban family area, and the Seattle property is on the "West Side" in a suburb next to downtown Seattle, which is known for its artsy laid back and eclectic vibe. While that was a lot of what may have been useless information to some, it was a long way of telling you that even though we don’t have a lot of reviews on AirBnB, we are trustworthy, experienced and work to provide customer satisfaction so that you’ll have the best stay possible.
Al Smith, Jr.
Lake Sammamish Rentals