David's apartment is perfectly located in the middle of Hlavna (the main pedestrian area of Kosice), where many restaurants and bars are located. it is nicely furnished and very spacious with a lovely terrace overlooking the courtyard. The double bed is comfortable (cannot vouch for the other beds). It is also very quiet (except for the very loud and prolonged pealing of the church bell at 7am). The A/C worked great despite 32C (90F) heat.
David and his father Jan are easily reachable via sms and very responsive.
There are a few things that you need to be aware of when renting the apartment (these are not necessarily problems, just something to keep in mind):
- This is a 3rd floor walk up (the ceilings are high, so it is equivalent to a typical 4th floor) without elevator, so if you have heavy luggage it might be quite a haul.
- If you are arriving by car, parking is in the long and narrow courtyard, getting in and out was awkward, but then I am not a very good driver.
- You will get 3 keys to the door and various gates, some of them quite tricky and it takes a few tries to get the hang of it. There is also a key to the courtyard gate that is kept locked on week-ends. We did not get that key from Jan and when we returned from an excursion to the caves my husband had to go all the way around the block to get inside the courtyard from the city square and unlock the gate from the inside.
- The apartment is a converted attic, so there are slanting ceilings, steps and cross beams in various places, with plenty of opportunities to trip or bump your head.
- There are no windows in the bedrooms, just the skylights. The provides plenty of light but there are no curtains, so in the morning it gets very bright with sunrise.
All in all, we had a great time in Kosice!