About this listing
The house is located in the heart of the mountainous region of Helmos in the village of Peristera, Achaia province, at an altitude of 1100m. The surrounding massif of Mount Helmos is considered a botanical paradise.
I can provide personal guiding for a number of activities that can be undertaken in the area:
- Hiking in deep forests and alpine pastures
- Climbing and mountaineering
- Skiing and other snow sports at the nearby ski resort of Kalavrita
- Mountain biking
- River trekking
Or just exploring the picturesque villages with great local cuisine.
The house consists of two levels and sleeps up to 6 persons (in beds provided) and can accommodate more guests with sleeping-bags and carry-mats (on a spacious wooden floor). On the ground level there is a bedroom with 2 beds, a bathroom and a large living space unified with the small but ergonomic kitchen. A space-saving staircase leads to a spacious loft. There is also a storage room with tools and firewood stocked up for the winter. A wood stove provides plenty of warmth required during the cold months (usually from October to April).
The property lies on gentle slopes formed by man-shaped terraces, surrounded by wonderful views of snow capped mountains, 500m. from Peristera village's center.
Interesting sights you can visit in the area:
- The mythical waterfall of Styx, a 2-hours hike up the eastern slopes of Neraidorakhi peak
- The small town of Kalavrita (26km), economical and cultural center of the region
- Kalavrita ski-resort (12km), on the snow-packed slopes of mount Helmos, with snow usually from late December to mid April.
- Vouraikos gorge with the rack railway Diakopto – Kalavrita, a unique attraction in Greece
- The unique cave of lakes in Kastria (28km)
- The small lake of Tsivlos (10km) under the shadow of mount Helmos, among the deep conifers forest.
- The lake of Doxa (Feneos) (20km), approached only by 4WD car.
Other major attractions from Peristera village:
- Olympia, 118km
- Delphi, 208km
- Mycenae, 135km
- Athens, 182km
Interaction with guests
To explore the region and enjoy the most of it, books and maps are offered for use by guests. Once you arrive, I will give you detailed and up to date information about almost everything in the surrounding area and further more, as well as the best proposal from tavernas and picturesque villages to hiking and mountaineering info.
Personal guiding can also be provided if it is previously arranged.
Other things to note
Access to the region may be difficult in cold / snowy weather. Coming with a private car, always have a pair of snow chains in the boot and stay tuned with weather forecasts.
Cancel up to 5 days before your trip and get a full refund. Cancel within 5 days of your trip and the first night is non-refundable, but 50% of the cost for the remaining nights will be refunded.