The "Henry" shack has a sitting room, bedroom, full kitchen, bathroom with shower, washer/dryer, and a front and back porch.
The Seven Chimneys Farm is located against the Mississippi River levee in the heart of the Delta near Clarksdale and Friars Point, Mississippi. The complex is comprised of the oldest house in northwest Mississippi along with a newly built barn/lecture-performance space/artist loft, a pottery wheel house and the shacks and an airstream for guest accommodation. There is a 1950s pool house and a pool as well as a quarter acre fenced garden. Seven Chimneys is located eight miles from world-renowned Clarksdale, Mississippi, the birthplace of the Blues, as well as being four miles from Friars Point, Mississippi, the birthplace on Conway Twitty. In keeping with the birthplace theme, Seven Chimneys is also surrounded by Stovall Plantation, the former home of Muddy Waters.
Seven Chimneys Farm's vision is twofold. It is meant to be both a comfortable, relaxed place for folks who want to enjoy fresh country air and get a taste of the rural south while visiting the Mississippi Delta region. Equally important, it acts as a center for cultural arts education, providing classes and workshops both to a larger national audience and the local community across a wide variety of horticultural, culinary, literary, visual and audio arts. Seven Chimneys also hosts a wide variety of artists in residence, bringing both our Delta culture to a wider national and international audience, while exposing the Delta to other cultures and influences. For a wide spot in the road, the Mississippi and Arkansas Delta has punched well above its weight in terms of cultural contributions, and Seven Chimneys provides a new and exciting incubator for continuing that tradition.
This host has 97 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
The history of what is now known as Seven Chimneys Farm dates back to 1848, when the original portion of the plantation home was constructed by Colonel William J. Oldham. Originally known as the Prarie Plantation House, it is believed to be the oldest extant home in Coahoma County. The land the home sits on is located just off the Mississippi River and was acquired from Choctaw Indians soon after the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830. By 1836, Colonel William J. Oldham had cleared the timber from the land, and construction began on the home in 1848. The home and surrounding land was passed down from generation to generation and the plantation itself has become known as Stovall Plantation.
It’s hard to imagine that what we now know as the Delta was once covered entirely by forest. That is what the people who first lived here looked out on when they opened their front doors - miles and miles of trees. Dams in the Mississippi River further north have altered the river's course, but back in 1840’s the house was near the river bank and served as a remote outpost for traffic coming up and down the river moving logs and supplies. It is likely that the Oldhams spent most of their time in Memphis, particularly the ladies, and Colonel Oldham would have only visited occasionally to check on the progress of the hired help and slaves who lived and worked on the property.
The original house has been enlarged and altered numerous times over the years, but its earliest form is clearly evident, and most of it's original features have been preserved. The bricks for the house were fired on site. Intricate molding and trim on the interior, elaborate mantel pieces, and distinct chimneys all add to the allure of the home. Many of the major additions and ornate detailing came about during the mid to late nineteenth century with more significant changes to the exterior during the mid-1890s.
The plantation and home have seen much excitement in its time of existence. From the detailing of the home, Union soldier visits during the Civil War, elaborate social gatherings, historic floods, agriculture progress, and the birthplace of such icons as Muddy Waters, the plantation and home are a reminder of the importance of our culture and region.