Located in the centre of Hobart, this historically significant property has been beautifully renovated back to a 12-bedroom guest accommodation.
Situated less than 5 minutes walk from Salamanca's waterfront precinct, Macquarie House provides guests access to shared bathrooms, kitchen & dining facilities, and common lounge room.
Rooms include high quality bedding, with towels and linen provided. Free NBN speed Wi-Fi is included, as well as access to coin-operated laundry facility.
Macquarie House is of major heritage significance, and one of the oldest surviving buildings in Tasmania. The property is on the Tasmanian Heritage Register, noted as one of the first two brick buildings ever constructed in Hobart. Birch's House first became known as Macquarie House after Governor Lachlan Macquarie stayed there between April and June 1820. The very name of the building ‘Macquarie House' is a recognition of the fact that Dr. TW Birch was favoured by Macquarie.
In 1824, the property was converted to a hotel for the first time, and in 1842 the hotel converted to a boarding house (including the additions of coach house and stables). Come 2015, it has been renovated back to accommodation, reinvigorating the name 'Macquarie House' (not the stables, but newly renovated guest rooms!).
Guests have access to the communal kitchen, bathrooms, lounge room and laundry. There is also a restaurant on the ground floor (Fico Bistro & Vino).
Interaction with guests
The owner resides off site, however management are available during business hours at 'Elali House' front office of 151 Davey Street, and contactable after hours.
Other things to note
Key collection by appointment on site at Macquarie House (151 Macquarie Street – Fico Bistro & Vino is on the ground floor).
Rooms are ready by 2pm, with early bag drop and late check in also available by arrangement.
MACQUARIE HOUSE RULES:
1. Each guest at the property is to respect the rights and privacy of all other guests.
2. The conduct of visitors to the property is the responsibility of the guest being visited.
3. Visitors / additional guests are NOT permitted to stay at the property without prior permission.
4. Smoking of any cigarettes, cigars, or any other device is PROHIBITED in any of the guest rooms and communal areas. Smokers are required to smoke outside the premises only.
5. Fire exists MUST NOT be left open (except in case of emergency).
6. Cooking on the kitchen stove MUST NOT be left unattended.
7. Cooking is NOT permitted in rooms.
8. It is the responsibility of all guests to keep the communal areas clean and rubbish free.
9. Use of the washing machine/dryer & vacuum cleaner is NOT permitted after 10pm and before 8am.
10. Guests must ensure all exterior entrances & exits to the property (gates & doors) are shut & locked at all times.
These House Rules are provided to help make the premises a safe and enjoyable place for all guests to stay.
This host has 1129 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
Elali House is a team of well travelled Tasmanian entrepreneurs, who are excited to show you the place we call home. We thrive to provide a quality experience and safe property for all guests.
We encourage you to explore Hobart and the wonders Tasmania has to offer. You will have your own secure space, but we won't be too far away if you need us to help you.
General Manager - Elali House & Apartments