About this listing
We are a French-Chinese family welcoming you in our home right by the main streets of Dali. Comfort and privacy in your room, while the rest of the house is a place of happiness, sharing and quiet. Peaceful and typical in the busy heart of Dali.
A cosy room on the ground floor of a rustic house renovated in 2007 by a Taiwanese architect, equipped for modern and healthy living for our family, and furnished with a mix of simple wooden furniture and antiques we picked ourselves. We have made it our home 4 years ago and love it, and want to share it’s warmth with you.
The top floor of the house is our yoga studio. We practice daily in its fantastic atmosphere, bathed in natural light and with view over the city and the mountains.
We are lucky to be surrounded by private houses and not guest-houses, and enjoy a peace and quiet which we nurture in our way of life. On the ground floor, we start our day with great morning light bathing our kitchen and traditional Bai ethnic minority style yard. During the day, the ground floor living room is a “public space” where we live and share, paint and craft, enjoy family meals and tea ceremony.
The room features a queen-size bed (150x200cm) and side-bed tables, desk, cloth rack, and a bookshelf full with a rich selection of books (English, french, chinese). On the west side of the house, it is protected from direct sunlight and makes for a sound sleep, while remaining bright and pleasant during the day.
The room comes with it’s own bathroom on the ground floor, with perfectly adjustable hot water and great water pressure. Western style toilet, mirror, sink, shelves and racks, hair drier, and all basic soaps and lotions provided.
Wi-Fi high-speed internet. Note the quality of connection and speed of internet in China is limited due to the Great Firewall of China.
A set of keys will be given to you. You are free to use all facilities on the ground floor, which is basically a fully independent living unit, shared with us and potentially other guests.
You are welcome (and encouraged) to use the fully equipped yoga studio on the top floor. We practice daily and will be happy if you join. If you wish for a private class or series of workshops, we can arrange it around the schedule of your stay – for a fee or donation.
The storage spaces will be left free for your belongings.
The bed will be made for you and a welcome package with basic necessities will wait for you.
Beddings and towels will be provided.
Local phone provided during your stay.
Iphone 4,5 charger, Android/mini usb charger, international plug adapters provided.
Local SIM card upon demand (see details with us).
Interaction with guests
We live in the house and work from home most of the time. Our days are organized around the trips to school for our 4 years old daughter, our meetings in town with friends and sometimes trips to the mountains nearby.
When you arrive, FengHua and Jean-Yves (or FengHua or Jean-Yves) will be there to welcome you in your room and give you a tour of the house. We will explain how everything works and will be happy to answer any question you might have.
We will tell you how to get around the neighborhood and where the good places are located (supermarket, restaurants and bars, touristic activities, transports…). We have lived here for about ten years, and know all the good places and ways!
We are a mixed family, French and Chinese, and this comes with a rich package of insights and interesting dynamics!
Besides, we love to share about our interests.
- If you like tea you can decide whether you’re more sensitive to Fenghua’s zen approach to drinking it, or to Jean-Yves’s connoisseur tasting practice.
- We were in part driven to the region through our passion for folk tales and stories of local cultures, and have developed over the years a knowledge and understanding of the local ethnic groups that we gladly share.
- Kundalini yoga and meditation have an important impact on our life, and the energy of our home. If you are already practicing it, you’ll be welcome to join our daily sessions or have your own time in the studio. If you’d like an introduction or a more in depth practice, we can arrange classes (which are not included in the price of the room).
- When Fenghua has the free time to do so, you will find her in the living room doing traditional chinese painting. You can join in or give it a try yourself : all equipment is on display for free use.
- We like to cook! The kitchen in our home is an important part of the house’s social life and a place of gathering.
- You might not meet Jean-Yves if you’re on a short stay and he happens to be out guiding in the mountains for days in a row… but if he’s back you’ll be able to ask him about the best routes around and he might even take you out on a day treck.
We value our own space, and understand the importance of privacy. So we’ll be available and happy when you are too.
Other things to note
We decorate the flat with our own works and these of local artists friends. We also have a small business selling tea and traditional products from the region. If there is something you like and would like to bring back home, let us know and we’ll help you find it, or sell it to you with a small profit.
We provide some literature for you to read at home, they’re often not easy to replace, please refrain from taking them out of the house!
If you are done with one of your own books and do not wish to keep the burden for the rest of your trip, feel free to leave it on the library and share the good reads with the next guests.
Strictly non-smoking house, except for the rooftop. No pets allowed.
The bathroom products provided are a courtesy to make your stay more comfortable, we will be thankful for your using it discerningly.
You are expected to clean your dishes and cooking utensils right after use / a meal, and to keep all common spaces in good order when not in use.
Accidents happen, we won’t charge you for a broken glass but please do let us know.
You will be responsible for the trash-bins in your room and bathroom, thanks for taking it out upon check-out.
Cancel up to 24 hours before your trip and get a full refund. Cancel within 24 hours of your trip and the first night is non-refundable.
About the home
When you stay in an Airbnb, you’re staying in someone’s home.