Convenient location, ground floor, gardens all around, Florence in sight, peace and quiet in a Chianti old villa. Steinway piano at disposal. History and charm. Parking, WIFI, washer, fireplace, soon large 55 inch TV screen. Although we are just renting a room, we actually leave the whole apartment at disposal of our guests, anytime we are not using the living area for our cooking class.
We call this the Vault apartment because its bedroom is the very first space built of this whole villa, in 1146, and its ceiling is a complete vault. Convenient location, ground level, light-filled but cool, easy access, private gardens all around, Florence in sight, peace and quiet in a Chianti old villa.
4 Cats on the property, all friendly and curious but will only access your private apartment if invited by you!
Century old round wall niches, vaulted bedroom, fireplace, exposed brick ceiling.
Perfect retreat if you travel on a budget, long for the privacy and quiet of the countryside, but still want to be in touch with Florence.
We were finally able to renovate this space which used to be the carpenter's workshop of our villa in the hills south east of Florence.
This apartment faces sunrise, has large glass doors and 250 year-old wooden doors. It includes
- 1 very large vaulted bedroom with queen size bed, and sofa area with 1 sofa which turns into a bed. (exclusive use of guests).
- Rustic living area with beautiful views all around, open kitchen with fireplace. We use the kitchen, living area and bathroom of this apartment for our cooking classes on some days of the week. (8:30AM-2:30PM or 2:30PM-9:30PM). It is the only use for this apartment, so the evenings and nights the space is always all exclusive to our guests.
- full bathroom (old fashioned) with bathtub and washing machine (at disposal of guests).
The living area has a glass wall facing south east, so it is sunny all morning. A 400 year old table that seats 12 is our pride and joy in this apartment! The bedroom has a window facing south west, so enjoys the afternoon sun.
For the winter, there is central gas heating through radiators, and a cosy fireplace.
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY:
The tower portion of this villa dates back to 1146. The rest of the building, including this "piano apartment", was added on in the 1400s , 1600s and 1800s. My grandfather Rodolfo Paoli was a musicologist, and orchestra director who supported his family by playing the Baby grand Piano that is now in the main area, at your disposal if you play piano and wish to practice. Many lives were saved during WWII by my grandpa who risked his own, by offering hiding and shelter to total strangers in this villa. We like to continue this tradition by welcoming people from all over the world.
Our children are the 6th generation in this home.
The rest of the villa is lived in by family members.
We use the kitchen of this apartment for our cooking classes on some days of the week. (8:30AM-2:30PM or 2:30PM-9:30PM). It is the only use for this apartment, so evenings, nights and several full days the space is all exclusive to our guests. Access to all private grounds: the sunny side garden, the shaded garden under the century-old holm oaks and the olive groves.
Numerous hikes start from our village, and a little forest is accessible without even leaving the property.
Also shared BBQ, picnic area and swing.
If you play the piano and wish to practice during your vacation: there is a Baby Grand Steinway Piano made in 1899, in the common area, accessible upon request.
Interaction with guests
We live in the building, so we are always here in case of need, or simply to share a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.
We hold some of our cooking classes in the Vault apartment, and there are always delicious leftovers!
We may be on vacation a few weeks in the summer, or a week end here and there. When so, our cousins who lives on the premises will make sure you have assistance in case of need.
ADDITIONAL OFFERS AT THE VILLA:
Take a fun hands-on COOKING LESSON where you learn how to make pasta from scratch, then stay for dinner in the top of the villa: that includes your creations and a whole meal, including home-made dessert and wine. The bonus: beautiful views, unlimited toppings of wine, and coffee. And you don’t have to do the dishes!. Cost per person (only for Airbnb guests) : 60€ Credit card accepted. 5€ discount for cash payments.
Other things to note
- Standard check in time: after 4:00 pm, Standard check out time by 10:00 am. Both times are very flexible BUT PLEASE REQUEST IN ADVANCE if you'd like to arrive extra early, or leave later. We'd love to accommodate your needs compatibly with other guests.
PLEASE NOTE THAT PRICE DOESN NOT INCLUDE MANDATORY TOURIST TAX OF 1,50€ PER PERSON PER NIGHT, due for stays MARCH 1ST-OCT 30TH, IN CASH. Please have correct amount in cash. We will issue you a receipt. Thank you for your understanding. (We have no saying nor gaining in this: we just serve as tax collectors).
- REVIEW instructions on how to get to your apartment and where to find the keys, so you are free to arrive anytime.
- REMEMBER there is no doorbell here at the villa, so carefully read the instructions you receive about how to get here and where to find your keys. We live in the building but will not know you have arrived unless you call/text.
- INFORM us of your ETA and ETD. Unless you do, we will expect you around 4-5 pm, and say goodbye about 10am
- PARK in the main garden for loading and unloading ONLY (parking available on the property, on a lower level)
- SMOKING allowed outside only
- please RECYCLE garbage by following the guide in the house
- DO, PLEASE DO READ OUR INFO BOOK WHEN YOU ARRIVE, AND PLEASE, ASK FOR ANYTHING YOU NEED! (sometimes we get forgetful...)
This host has 548 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
My children are the 6th generation in this medieval villa, and when our budget doesn't allow us to travel, we like a little bit of the world to come to us. My grandfather - a personal hero of mine - hid and saved many lives (often complete strangers, and foreigners), from the fury of the Fascists and Nazis during WW2, in the many nooks and crannies of this old home; and this has created in his heirs a tradition of opening this home to strangers.
I am more hospitable than impeccable...
I recently wrote a book about happiness.
My husband Marco is a retired professional yachtsman, and now a talented and passionate cook.
One of my favourite quotes is: "if you don't believe in connections, you miss them".