Skip to content

Top places of worship recommendations from locals

Church
“Heraklion's protector Saint and the city's cathedral. Built by the locals in the 17th century by creating a human chain in order to transport materials from the city's port. Next to the Cathedral you will find Saint Katerina church which is used as a Byzantine icons Gallery. ”
  • 10 locals recommend
Church
“One of the city's oldest church with unique architecture and a newly revealed secret story - it is built atop a huge Ottoman undergound water tank”
  • 7 locals recommend
Church
“The three-aisled, barrel-vaulted church of the All-Holy Virgin ‘the Lady’ with a dome on the nave is located to the south and at a distance of around 500 metres from the settlement of Kritsas. The church is one of the most important visited monuments of Crete because of its extensive and well-preserved wall painting decoration from various periods of ­Byzantine art. The original church, the present nave dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos, was probably built during the middle Byzantine period and has wall painting decoration from two periods. The first layer which is partially preserved in the sanctuary is dated to the middle of the 13th century while the second layer with scenes from the Twelve Great Feasts on the dome belongs to the beginning of the 14th century when the church received an extensive restoration during which the dome was also rebuilt. Particular reference should be made to the depiction of St. Francis of Assisi, protector of the poor, who enjoyed ­veneration also from the Orthodox, with the ­characteristic habit of his order that leaves his stigmata uncovered. In the same period, i.e., the beginning of the 14th century, the south aisle, which was ­dedicated to St. Anna who is depicted in bust on the ­semi-dome of the conch of the ­sanctuary was painted by a very capable painter. The aisle is decorated with scenes from the Marian ­cycle from the apocryphal Gospels. In the middle of the 14th century, the north aisle, dedicated to St. Anthony, was also decorated. The ­depiction of the Second Coming on the entire barrel-vault of the aisle as well as the ­depiction of the donors from the family of George Mazizani on the south wall, suggest its possible use as a funerary chapel.”
  • 7 locals recommend
Church
“ It is considered to be an extremely significant example of Byzantine architecture dated to the 9th century.”
  • 1 local recommends
Church
“Panagia Halevi monastery is located about 6km south of Rethymnon, on the way to Chromonastiri. It's another Venetian monastery of Crete, which is deserted and surely worth restoring. The monastery was probably founded in the 16th century and finally abandoned after the end of the Turkish occupation. From the monastery survives the single-aisle church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary (Panagia), with its magnificent flameshaped windows, and around it you’ll see the ruins of the rest monastic buildings which were built with fortress-like architecture. The monastery has been declared a protected monument by the Greek state.”
  • 1 local recommends
Church
“Female monastery where the nuns produce olive oil, wine and many more local products.”
  • 2 locals recommend
Church
“The present Cathedral temple of "Eisodion" was built on the place of an older temple of "Theotokos" (Virgin Mary) Trimartiri, dating back to the 14th century. When the city of Chania was occupied by the Turks in 1645, the temple was converted into a soap-factory without altering its initial design. Until 1868, the temple functioned as a soap-factory and belonged to the Turkish dignitary Moustafa Pasha Giritli (= the Cretan). In the area of the olive storage room, Moustafa had ordered the protection of the icon of Virgin Mary with a vigil candle. According to tradition, the soap-factory business failed and was abandoned, and the icon of Virgin Mary was taken by the last technician. When Moustafa became Prime Minister, during the reign of the Sultan Metzit, the Christian Community requested the re-construction of the temple in the place of the soap-factory. Moustafa assigned the area for this purpose and the Sultan and Veli Pasha (the Commander of Crete) provided monetary support. Despite the hostility between the Christians and the Ottomans, this contribution was appreciated and the church was finally re-built. The construction of the church was completed in 1860 in the style of a three aisle Basilica. The middle aisle is higher and covered by a pointed arch. The other aisles are covered by cross-ribbed vaults and are divided vertically by the women's balcony. On the northeast side of the temple there is the high bell-tower. The architectural elements of the temple are associated more with the tradition developed in the period of the Venetian occupation: sculptured pseudo-pillars, cornices and arched openings. The east wall is decorated with large and impressive religious paintings, the works of G. Kalliterakis, G. Stravrakis, E. Tripolitakis and D. Kokotsis. The icon of the Virgin Mary ("Eisodion tis Theotokou") was also returned to the temple. The temple is closely connected to the historical events in the city and it was an asylum and shelter during war time and revolutions. It was severely damaged in May 1941 by the bombs dropped by the Germans.”
  • 1 local recommends
Monument / Landmark
“Turkish monument at the end of the road Arkadiou next to Ag Stratioti square.”
  • 3 locals recommend
Church
“Τhe fortified monastery of Agarathos is located in a wooded location at an altitude of 538m near Episkopi.The male monastery, especially during the Venetian Era was one of the richest in Crete owning several other monasteries in Heraklion and Lassithi prefectures.It is considered the first in the hierarchy of the monasteries of the island.The name is taken after the plant Jerusalem Sage (Phlomis fruticosa),named agarathia in Cretan dialect.According to the tradition below such a plant a monk found once the icon of Panagia (Virgin Mary) and he later built the church of Panagia on the same site.In front of the church you will see a pomegranate tree with a candle near its trunk.The pomegranate is said to be the initial plant of agarathia, which was turned miraculously to a tree.The church of the monastery is double-aisled, with one aisle dedicated to the Assumption (celebr. 15 August) and the other to Saint Menas (celebr. 11 November).There is a very old icon of the Virgin Mary.Visitors of the monastery can be hosted in the guesthouse and the dining room of the monastery and admire the library with the old manuscripts.Outside the monastery, there is the old church of St. Raphael. ”
  • 3 locals recommend
Church
“The beautiful monastery of Arkadi can be found in the foothills of the western Ida (Psiloritis) Mountain. The Cretans consider the monastery as a symbol of freedom from the turks. During the revolt in 1866, hundreds of refugees and Cretan freedom fighters sought sanctuary in the wine store rooms with the monks, where there was also a stash of gunpowder. When the Turks made their way towards their last refuge, the Abbot gave the order to fire the gunpowder. Hundreds of Cretans and Turks were killed; giving real meaning to the battle cry of Crete - “freedom or death”! November 8th is a day of celebrations in Arkadi and Rethymno.”
  • 4 locals recommend
Cemetery
“At Vlites position, by Souda port, in a beautifully landscaped scenery, there is the Souda Bay War Cemetery, where ceremonies take place every year in memory of the victims of the Second World War. Throughout the year, many visitors, mainly Australians and New Zealanders, visit this place.”
  • 3 locals recommend
Cemetery
  • 1 local recommends
Church
“A truly impressive Russian style church, surrounded by a beautiful garden located 2 minutes walking distance from the studio”
  • 4 locals recommend
Church
“Μοναδικό δημιούργημα της φύσης. Ανεβαίνοντας τα δεκάδες σκαλιά θα αποζημιωθείτε με την μοναδική θέα, τον εκπληκτικό ναό της του Θεού Σοφίας, και με τους μοναδικούς σταλαγμίτες και σταλακτίτες που κοσμούν μοναδικά το σπήλαιο.”
  • 1 local recommends
Church
“Ο σημερινός καθεδρικός ναός των Εισοδίων χτίστηκε στη θέση παλαιότερου ναού της Θεοτόκου, ο οποίος ανάγεται στον 14ο αιώνα. ”
  • 2 locals recommend