Skip to content
Showing you results for "Municipio I, Rome, Metropolitan City of Rome"

Top park recommendations from locals

Park
“Villa Borghese is a large city park in the city of Rome that includes green accommodation of different types, from the Italian garden to the large areas of English style, buildings, small buildings, fountains and lakes. It is the fourth largest public park in Rome (about 80 hectares), after the public part of the Regional Park of Ancient Appia, villa Doria pamphilj and villa Ada and extends largely on the district of Pinociano and in small part on the district Campo Marzio, divided by the Aurelian Walls.”
  • 542 locals recommend
Landmark
“This is considered as one of the most famous fountains in the entire world. Trevi Fountain is quite the stage prop as well! Besides La Dolce Vita, when Anita Ekberg jumped into the Trevi Fountain with her clothes on, the massive monument has been featured in many films including Roman Holiday, Three Coins in the Fountain and even The Lizzie McGuire Movie. The fountain is even replicated at Epcot in Walt Disney World! The tradition is to toss a coin in , to ensure that one day you'll return to the eternal city of Rome ♥”
  • 323 locals recommend
Park
“Villa Doria Pamphili is a succession of surprising views and historic buildings immersed in the lush vegetation of one of the largest green areas in the city. It has a perimeter of 6.5 km and extends over 184 hectares and, in addition to being a park, it is also a splendid monumental villa, so green that it was also known as the 'Bel Respiro' (Beautiful Breath). One of the accesses to Villa Doria Pamphili is Piazza di San Pancrazio (St Pancras's Square). This place was already talked of in the mediaeval period - the pilgrim itineraries (the old 'guides') indicated the Santuario di San Pancrazio (St Pancras's Sanctuary) to those arriving from the north. This is a beautiful church that, finding itself on a pilgrimage route, could offer a welcome to the wayfarers in its monastery; it also had a Catacomb in its crypt full of valuable frescoes. Today, the underground cemetery contains graffiti, traces of old paintings and lots of loculi making its dark corners even more mysterious. When the estate along the Via Aurelia was bought by Panfilo Pamphili in 1630, there was only the Villa Vecchia, the oldest building, inside it. However, between 1644 and 1652, under the papacy of Innocent X Pamphili, the architects Algardi and Grimaldi built the complex of the Villa Nuova, which became the residence of Camillo Pamphili, the Pope's nephew. At the beginning, the villa was divided into three parts - the building and gardens (pars urbana), the pinewood (pars fructuaria) and the farm (pars rustica), but the Pamphili family had the so-called 'Casino di Allegrezze' designed and built. This was to host parties and large receptions while the park and the 'Giardini di delizie' (Gardens of Delight) were arranged around the Palazzo where the games and pastimes of the Roman nobility were held for many years. The scene must have been enchanting because of the incredible number of rare plants and flowers kept with such care and in such quantity that they could be used to extract perfumes, not counting the oranges, lemons, cedars and ilexes in which coloured birds of various species and from distant places nested. The plants were in decorated terracotta vases or put directly into the ground. 
The scene was completed by lots of fountains, almost all designed by Algardi, fed by a Roman aqueduct that Pope Paul V had refurbished at the end of the 14th century and which took the name of Acquedotto Paolo. Deer and fallow deer, pheasants and many other species of animals kept specially to entertain guests who went hunting, the favourite sport of the nobility, ran free among the poplars and pines in the depths of the woods and glades. Today, after entering by Porta S. Pancrazio, the Arco dei Quattro Venti (the Four Winds Arch) is directly ahead. A little further on there is Palazzina Corsini dating to the 18th century and part of the Villa Corsini from the same century. From here, there is a breathtaking view of the Valle dei Daini (Fallow Deer Valley) where these animals roam freely and which was cleared in 2000 after years of negligence. The Fontana del Giglio lies beyond the pinewood, and features plays of water that flow into the Laghetto del Belvedere (the Belvedere Lake), a natural basin which underwent alterations and extensions over the years without changing the water supply. Only a recent restoration has improved the inflow and outflow of the water while the historic paths created for the beauty spots ('belvedere') have been rearranged. The Cappella Doria Pamphili (Doria Pamphili Chapel), a little way away, was the last of the buildings constructed in the villa between 1896 and 1902. The Villa Vecchia or Casino di Famiglia, the original building, is on the side of the Via Aurelia Antica which, at this point, runs alongside the ruins of the Acquedotto Traiano-Paolo (Traiano-Paolo Aqueduct), whose material was 'reused' to build the villa. The gardens of the Villa Vecchia were famous for the great number of citrus trees. At the end of the 19th century, they appeared to be paths with sweeping curves that enclosed various types of trees, flowerbeds in designs and many palms which gave an exotic appearance. The west part of the Villa recalls the Roman countryside and is an excellent place to laze, walk or do open-air sports. As a result of its position, Villa Doria Pamphili also has interesting archaeological remains; these include a Roman necropolis where two tombs from the Augustan age were found, decorated with splendid frescoes and which can be admired in the Museo Nazionale Romano. The mediaeval Casale di Giovio, built on a little Roman funerary temple, is on a small hill, once more in the western part. Villa Doria Pamphili was extended and altered in the middle of the 19th century but the villa was inexorably divided in two by the opening of a dual-carriage way, bearing the name of Leo XIII, in 1960. In 1967, the complex was acquired by the state and Rome City Council and was at long last opened to the public. Today, it is the ideal place to laze, have a picnic, do open-air sport or simply walk in a lush, green oasis in the chaotic heart of Rome. Casino del Bel Respiro The Casino del Bel Respiro is one of the most beautiful buildings of Villa Pamphili, also known as Palazzina dell'Algardi in memory of the architect whose intention was to express the magnificence of the noble family. It was commissioned by Giovanni Battista Pamphili, who became Pope with the name of Innocence X. It was the home of valuable art collections, and recreational events, parties and meetings were held there. The palace was inspired by the villas of Palladio while the furnishing and gardens recalled ancient noble residences, in particular Villa Adriana at Tivoli, where Algardi used to go to study and draw. The building has a façade on two levels on the main side and, to overcome the difference in the level of the ground, three levels on the side where the Giardino Segreto (Secret Garden) was created. 
This secluded and picturesque oasis was embellished by hedges shaped to form designs like the fleur-de-lys, the family crest, and many statues which also decorated the access drive to the Casino. Two fishponds were planned along the short sides of the garden but only one was actually created. A fountain in the centre completed the scene. The Giardino Segreto leads to the Giardino del Teatro (Theatre Garden), a semi-circular construction which hosted certain theatrical events.”
  • 305 locals recommend
Scenic Viewpoint
“Giardino degli Aranci (Parco Savello) The tranquil Garden of Oranges, also known as Parco Savello, affords fantastic views of the many monuments, roof tops and domes of Rome, encapsulating flavors of the modern and medieval on its shady walkways. The park itself fits neatly behind the ancient Basilica of Santa Sabina, and beside the Piazza Pietro d'Illiria, named after the founder of the church. Visitors to this secluded square are greeted by the scowling face of Giacomo Della Porta's fountain, perhaps made in reference to Oceanus, a River god. The mask had several previous locations, including the Forum and Lungotevere Gianicolense, before coming to rest on the peaceful Aventine Hill. To the side of the garden are the remains of a wall which once surrounded the Tenth Century Savelli Castle. Built by Alberico II, and inherited by Ottone IIIafter the first Millennium, it was later given to the Dominican Order, who transformed the castle into a monastery, and the small park into a vegetable garden. Legends surrounding Spanish Saint Dominic gave the garden its name, and its first orange tree: having transported the sapling from his homeland, he planted it close to the cloister where it flourished. Legend tells how Saint Catherine of Siena picked the oranges from this tree and made candied fruit, which she gave to Pope Urban VI. The tree remains to this day, visible through a "porthole" in the wall of the nave. Miraculously, a younger sapling grew on its remains, which continues to bear fruit. Years later, orange trees were added to the monastery garden, which became known as the Garden of Oranges. Though they produce bitter fruit, they give a pleasant shady air to the garden, affording a lovely retreat from the bustle and noise of urban life. The garden's present form is the result of the work of architect Raffaele de Vico, creator of many of Rome's "green spaces". Upon entering the Garden of Oranges, the ancient apse of the Basilica of Santa Sabina appears, while, on the opposite side, scanty remains of the old Savelli fortress, drawbridge and towers are visible. The garden was designed on a symmetrical plan, drawing visitors ever closer to the central walkway leading to the terrace. A couple of steps forward offers a fantastic panorama of the Tevere, the ancient temples of the Forum Boarium, Santa Maria in Cosmedin (where the Mouth of Truth is found) the Gianicolo, and the imposing dome of St. Peter's from afar. During the summer it is no surprise that the garden is the choice setting for theatrical productions, a favorite resting spot for visitors touring Rome and the haunt of lovers. Perhaps the inspiring view and romantic ambience offers the ideal prompt for falling at the feet of one's beloved!”
  • 169 locals recommend
Park
“Park built on the ancient house of Nerone (DOMUS AUREA), wonderful view and perfect place for walks and photographs, wonderful view!!!”
  • 74 locals recommend
Park
“Sixteenth-century villa that remembers the landscape of the largest park of Villa Pamphilj. Wonderful to rest while staying near the Colosseum and the Circus Maximus. With a little luck you might even know the very nice turtles that live there!”
  • 84 locals recommend
Park
“the city of Rome is unique in many ways, historical ruins, grandiose chapels, amazing food, all wrapped up in the richness of Italian culture. Despite this, Rome is still a city and when you need a break from the bustling streets but can’t get away, we recommend you escape to the Botanical Garden in Trastevere. The Greenhouses There are four greenhouses on the grounds, the Corsini Greenhouse, the Monumental Greenhouse, the French Greenhouse and the Tropical Greenhouse. Each site houses various plants that are not native to the Italian ecosystem like cacti from America and Africa and lush trees and flowering plants from the Amazon Rainforest. Although the greenhouses are primarily used for study, as a visitor you will feel like you have traveled to all the world’s most exotic conditions when you enter these miniature ecosystems.”
  • 90 locals recommend
Park
“Nice and big park. It has a bunker, built in the early 1940s to protect the King and Queen during the war.”
  • 96 locals recommend
Park
“Villa Torlonia, the most recent of the villas belonging to Rome’s nobility, still retains a particular fascination due to the originality of its English-style garden (one of the few examples in the city), and to the unexpectedly large number of buildings and garden furniture in the grounds. The attractions of the site are the Casino Nobile (the home of the Villa Museum and the collection of works by the Roman School), the Casino dei Principi (used for exhibitions and the home of the Roman School Archive), and the Museum of the Casina delle Civette.”
  • 80 locals recommend
Fountain
“Fontana dell'Acqua Paola - "Er Fontanone" With its breathtaking view, the Fontana dell'Acqua Paola is one of the most romantic and picturesque places in Rome. Known by Romans as “er Fontanone” (the “Big Fountain”), it is a baroque jewel that graces the Janiculum landscape with its marble splendour. Commissioned by Paul V Borghese in 1600 as a monumental display of the aqueduct, the fountain marks the end of the aqueduct and celebrates its creator, the Pope, in name: Acqua “Paola”. Immediately upon being elected, Paul Vcommitted to numerous public works projects. Among them was the repair of the ancient Trajan Aqueduct so that it could bring water to Trastevere again. Three architects worked on the project. However, the monumental work was created by Flaminio Ponzio and Giovanni Fontana who, after working three years on the colossal undertaking, succeeded in bring water to Janiculum. As was the practice at the time, all the construction materials were scavenged from ancient monuments. Stone and marble were taken from the Forum of Nerva, and the granite columns from the ancient St. Peter's Basilica built byEmperor Constantine. The fountain resembles the Triumphal Arches of ancient Rome. It has five arches separated by massive marble columns and three central niches with waterfalls. Originally there were five water basins, one for each arch; however, in 1690 Carlo Fontana created the large semicircular basin that mirrored the shape of the wide viewing terrace. Behind the arches are three openings that provide glimpses into the Botanical Garden beyond. Above, at the top, there are two winged angels holding the Papal crest, while dragons and eagles stand guard at the ends. There is an inscription celebrating the Pope responsible for restoring the aqueduct and creating the fountain, but it contains a mistake. It states that the oldAlsietina Aqueduct was restored to create the Acqua Paola, while in actuality it was Trajan's Aqueduct that was repaired. In 1849, during the tough battle on Janiculum, the “Fontanone” sustained damage from French cannon fire. The most recent restoration, which took place in 2002-2004, restored the fountain to its original splendour, showing off the contrast between the white stone and the coloured marble lit by the reflections of the moving water.”
  • 70 locals recommend
Park
“The Cimitero Acattolico ('Non-Catholic Cemetery') of Rome, often referred to as the Cimitero dei protestanti ('Protestant Cemetery') or Cimitero degli Inglesi ('Englishmen's Cemetery'), is a private cemetery in the rione of Testaccio in Rome. It is near Porta San Paolo and adjacent to the Pyramid of Cestius, a small-scale Egyptian-style pyramid built between 18 and 12 BC as a tomb and later incorporated into the section of the Aurelian Walls that borders the cemetery. It has Mediterranean cypress, pomegranate and other trees, and a grassy meadow. It is the final resting place of non-Catholics including but not exclusive to Protestants or British people. The earliest known burial is that of a University of Oxford student named Langton in 1738. The English poets John Keats and Percy Bysshe Shelley are buried there.”
  • 80 locals recommend
Park
“Very nice and big park in Rome and in summer they organise concert open air.”
  • 22 locals recommend
Park
“Villa Sciarra Gardens with many rare plants, plus sculptural decoration taken from several Lombard villas. Amazing start for explore another beautiful district Monteverde Vecchio.”
  • 44 locals recommend
Scenic Viewpoint
“The most breathtaking view of the city up to the far hills in a green area where we can remember our Unity story, after many centuries when we were split into many states. It is a very nice walking, and there is a merry go round for kids as well and some other surprises. Every day at midday a cannon shots to tell everybody the correct time. (in the past there were not so many watches!). Wondeful at sunset.”
  • 26 locals recommend
Border Crossing
“In May, 1,100 species of roses bloom in a triumph of colors and scents that make this place even more precious A garden which is already magical for its nature and location!”
  • 33 locals recommend