Skip to content

Top places of worship recommendations from locals

Church
“Se visitar Lamego em Setembro, saiba que, entre os dias 6 e 8, se realiza a grande romaria iniciada por D. João VI, considerada a «romaria de Portugal». Um dos momentos altos de festa em honra da Senhora dos Remédios é a procissão do Triunfo: O andor é transportado por juntas de bois, com os carros magnificamente engalanados. O Santuário de Nossa Senhora dos Remédios localiza-se na freguesia da Sé, cidade e concelho de Lamego, distrito de Viseu, em Portugal. No topo do monte de Santo Estêvão, o santuário é atualmente parte integrante do panorama da cidade à qual está unido por um escadório cenográfico. Desde 1984, o Santuário de Nossa Senhora dos Remédios, incluindo a escadaria e parque, está classificado como Imóvel de Interesse Público. O templo apresenta, em sua fachada, traços do estilo barroco e rococó ("rocaille"). A fachada é ladeada por torres sineiras. Em sua construção foi empregada a pedra de granito. No seu interior, destacam-se o altar-mor com a imagem da Nossa Senhora dos Remédios esculpida em madeira, e três vitrais com as imagens de Nossa Senhora da Conceição, do Sagrado Coração de Jesus e da Anunciação. Os dois altares laterais são dedicados aos pais da virgem (São Joaquim e Santa Ana). Numa das paredes do santuário encontram-se painéis de azulejos com cenas da vida da Virgem. No exterior, destaca-se o escadório monumental de acesso ao santuário, com 686 degraus, desenvolvendo-se em nove lances, ornamentados com capelas, estátuas, fontes e obeliscos. Num desses patamares - o chamado "Pátio dos Reis" -, destacam-se as imagens de dezoito reis de Israel, pertencentes à árvore genealógica da Virgem. Na base do escadório encontram-se quatro figuras alusivas às quatro estações do ano. ”
  • 4 locals recommend
Church
“Cathedral, cloister, narrow streets around, pastelarias, tascas. Remédios Sanctuary by foot (600 steps) or by car through the wooded park. Museum A 3km walk to São Pedro de Balsemão, via Bairro da Ponte. With children a day in the municipal public pool.”
  • 1 local recommends
Church
“Local historico de visita obrigatória, pela beleza, pelos seus bares e restaurantes típicos. ”
  • 4 locals recommend
Church
“Produtos regionais como artesanato, queijo e pão tradicional, fumeiros e doçarias.”
  • 1 local recommends
Church
“The foundation of this monastic community dates back to the 10th century and is considered the origin of this Benditine Monastery. The will of abbot Randulfo, in 994, who escaped from a monastery to the south, during the incursions of Almançor, contains the first references to this Monastery. The foundation of the Monastery credits Trutesendo Galindes and his wife Anímia, who followed the peninsular monastic habits and adopted the Rule of Saint Benedict, during the abbacy of Sisnando, between 1085 and 1087. In 1088, the will of D. Egas Ermiges and his wife Gontinha Eriz donates property and other assets to the Church of the Saviour, for the redemption of their souls. This church does not correspond to the current Romanesque temple, but its architecture left marks in the construction that would be erected in the 13th century, featuring different periods. Count D. Henrique donates the Monastery as head of a "Couto" [place of privileges] associated to the Ribadouro, one of the most important families in the Entre-Douro-e-Minho, of which descends Egas Moniz who, according to tradition, would have founded this Monastery. The family comes from foreign roots, and the first representative, Mónio Viegas I, was born in the Gascogne, according to the information on the Livros de Linhagem [Books of Lineage].”
  • 3 locals recommend
Church
“Igreja de Santiago e Panteão dos Cabrais Monumento de traço romântico, foi sofrendo modificações ao longo dos tempos, apresentando alguns elementos góticos e maneiristas. Foi talvez contruída em 1240, por intermédio da D. Maria Odil Cabral, por disposição de D. Gil Cabral. No interior do monumento, pode observar-se uma Pietá, em granito e policrimática e pinturas murais, pelo menos de duas épocas, encontrando-se vestígios de um tríptico construído por figuras que representam Nossa Senhora, São Tiago (orago) e S. Pedro. Adossado à Igreja está o Panteão dos Cabrais, ainda em construção em 1483. A renovação deste deve-se a Francisco Cabral, primeiro Alcaide de Belmonte após a Restauração”
  • 1 local recommends
Church
  • 1 local recommends
Church
“Um monumento religioso de interesse histórico a nível arquitectónico, escultórico e de pintura. . "A Igreja da Misericórdia começou a ser edificada em 1775, sendo o mestre pedreiro António da Costa Faro o responsável pela obra e talvez também o autor do desenho da fachada, que apresenta muitas semelhanças com o da Igreja dos Terceiros (Viseu). O corpo central da fachada prolonga-se por mais dois corpos laterais, dando à igreja ares de solar, nos últimos dos quais assentam, de forma incaracterística, as duas torres sineiras. A igreja tem três retábulos de estilo Neoclássico, no trono do retábulo-mor está a imagem da Nossa Senhora da Misericórdia. Na igreja destaca-se: o grupo escultórico a Visitação, do escultor viseense José Monteiro Nelas (1875), e as telas Visitação e Nossa Senhora das Dores (1885), do pintor também da mesma cidade, António José Pereira (1821-1895)." in Igreja da Misericórdia - Viseu ”
  • 1 local recommends
Cemetery
  • 2 locals recommend
Church
“Historic building where first general assembly of clergy, nobility and common people was convened by the first king of Portugal at the beginning of the XII century”
  • 1 local recommends
Place of Worship
“Nowadays, the historical importance of Tarouquela is only shown in the remnant Church, which was part of one of the first female monasteries of the Benedictine Order built to the south of the Douro. Its origin, in the mid-12th century, associates this monastic house to a couple, Ramiro Gonçalves and his wife D. Ouruana Nunes, who acquired a property that used to belong to Egas Moniz, King Afonso Henriques' tutor, and his wife. Run by dynasties of abbesses, the history of this Monastery crosses its paths with the one of the region's most notable families. The influence of the Resendes ceased to be felt almost simultaneously in Tarouquela and in Cárquere (Resende), where Vasco Martins de Resende, the nephew of abbess D. Aldonça, was buried; she is mentioned in the transition from the 13th to the 14th century and was one of the most active abbesses with a long ruling period, which allowed her to make use of assets within her family circle. In the 15th century, the Monastery was already showing some signs of decline. In addition to its intrinsically family nature, its physical isolation and size, there were some noticeable signs of neglect by the Tarouquela nuns. The abbesses often broke their celibacy vows and acted according to their own personal interests. In 1535, the abbess of Arouca, D. Maria de Melo, moved to Tarouquela to calm the turmoil resulting from the royal will to extinguish the Monastery and prepare the transition to the Monastery of Benedict of Hail-Mary, in Porto, in 1536. This Monastery, founded in 1514 by King D. Manuel I (k. 1495-1521), was built to gather nuns from different female institutes, such as Tarouquela, in a single place.”
  • 1 local recommends
Church
“Igreja projetada pelo arquiteto Siza Vieira, ganhadora de vários prémios internacionais de arquitetura.”
  • 4 locals recommend
Church
“Although we can date the foundation of the Church of Barrô back to the 12th century - as the private Church of Egas Moniz (1080-1146), the Schoolmaster and Governor of the first king of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques, we know nothing about the time it was built or transformed, or if it was just a matter of giving continuity to a worship that was probably being practiced in an already existing temple. On the other hand, according to a different testimony by Pedro Gonçalves, the villa de Barriolo belonged entirely to the Monastery of Paço de Sousa (Penafiel). Therefore, there were many conflicting interests within this area (both from the church and territorial), although they all had a common link to the heritage of the Gascões lineage, to which Egas Moniz belonged. Here, on the banks of the Douro river, people believed that there were traces of a bridge commissioned by one of the royal Mafaldas. This tradition is echoed by the Vicar José Mendes de Azevedo, when he refers traces of pillars on both banks, namely on the opposite parish of Barqueiros. The parish Church was not the only religious centre in Barrô because, in the 17th century (in 1693) a group of nuns who took the Franciscan habit settled in the area; after this group had been extinct (in 1780) and the resisting nuns had been incorporated in the Convent of Stigmata, in Lamego, this became an important teaching centre during the 19th and 20th centuries. It was the Convent of Jesus-Mary-Joseph, referred to in 1758 as Claras urbanas.”
  • 1 local recommends