Cancelling a reservation as a Host without adverse consequences
Valid cancellation reasons
We understand that cancellations are sometimes unavoidable due to circumstances outside of the Host’s control. If a Host has to cancel for a valid reason, we’ll work with them and help their guests find another place to stay, without the Host incurring cancellation fees or other consequences from cancelling.
Valid cancellation reasons include:
- Circumstances beyond the Host’s control, such as major damage to a listing, emergency repairs (like a gas leak or a burst pipe) or serious personal illness that prevents hosting
- Proof that a guest intends to break one of the house rules included in the Listing details, have an unauthorised party or otherwise violate our Party and Events Policy
- An Extenuating Circumstance, such as declared emergencies and epidemics or government travel restrictions
If a Host uses Instant Book, they may be able to cancel for additional valid reasons without consequences under certain circumstances. Some examples include:
- The guest makes it clear they are likely to break one of the Host’s house rules, such as bringing a pet or smoking
- The guest has several unfavourable reviews or a lack of profile information that concerns the Host
Hosts will be able to cancel Instant Book reservations online for these reasons in most cases, but sometimes they may have to contact us to cancel without consequences. Otherwise, fees and consequences will apply. If a Host cancels a large number of Instant Book reservations, they may be required to turn off Instant Book.
To cancel in one of these situations, a Host may be required to submit proof. For example, they might be asked to provide photos, videos and other documentation in the case of emergency repairs, or a letter from a doctor in the case of serious personal illness.
If a Host cannot honour a reservation – regardless of the reason – it’s their responsibility to cancel in a timely manner to allow their guest time to adjust their plans. If the check-in time is within 24 hours, the option to cancel online won’t be available – the Host will need to contact us.
If a problem stems from an API software provider and the Host needs to cancel a reservation as a result, the Host must provide evidence of the API software provider’s outage or incident for consideration when requesting a fees and consequences waiver.
- HostBecause cancellations can disrupt guests' plans and affect confidence in the Airbnb community, there are penalties applied for Host cancella…
- HostYou can cancel a reservation as a Host, but if the check-in time is within 24 hours, the option to cancel online may not be available.
- Sometimes things come up and either you or your guest has a change of plans. To keep things running smoothly, here’s some helpful info.